Munchak: Titans should’ve scored near goalline

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The play was designed to goo off tackle right with the OL blocking down and Mooney picking up the outside guy. If Battle just runs that play 2 ft to the right we probably score. If he runs off RT he easily goes in. All that was on Battle even though Warmack was raped on the play.

IMO it is smart football whenever a guy is tackled at the two or closer to rush the offense up and have a play already called for the situation. The defense can't get the extra beef into the game. And while I don't mind a play action near the goaline is it really neccesary when we could have run QB sneaks multiple times and scored?

As for Turner on another set of downs by the goaline he was completely manhandled by Poe which resulted in a sack. Luckily Fitz was able to run it in from the 9 but that was about as bad as the guy not even being more than a stationary blocking dummy. Munch keeps defending the guy and I'm waiting for the team to announce Turners large new contract like Amano got. If Schwenke isn't ready put Spencer in there.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. pepsidriver24

pepsidriver24 @snydzie

Man Warmack was considered the most NFL ready OL in the draft (and it looks to be correct based on how most of the other draftees have been playing) and he is having issues of his own out there.

I'm pretty sure throwing in a rookie center at this point isn't going to help solve any problems. Turner is the lesser of 2 evils, until maybe the bye week and then consider Schwenke if he has shown abilities.

3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Posted this once but going to do it again. Line Battle up fullback and cj tailback then we could run the sweep and at least spread the field. Very arrogant to just go power house and try to ram it at a good defense

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I sure miss the big body fullbacks we used to have that could plow.

5. RTH

RTH Meh...

Yes. We should have scored on the goalline.

We also should have a running game.

6. pettso

pettso Starter

I don't agree with this. On a 4th and 1 at the goal line, I would go for it almost every time, especially early in the game. Statistically, it's the better play. There are many statistics that show teams convert on 4th and 1 over 60% of the time (too lazy to look up source).

60% of 7 points is 4.2, vs. the 3 you get from an automatic field goal.

Yes, there are some cases where getting the 3 points is crucial, but other than that, going for it makes more sense.

7. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

Battle shouldn't be out there four straight plays. I don't care if hes the bigger back than CJ. CJ is the F'n starter, a better running back, and quite frankly Battle has one or two decent runs and then is crap. Its stupid ass playcalling by the titans.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Those statistics don't take into account our offensive line, do they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar