Munchak seeks extended drives in preseason finale

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Coach Mike Munchak would like to see his offense do a better job of sustaining drives and a better job running the football in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Saints.

Against the Cardinals last Thursday, only two of the first eight drives went more than three plays. Of course, that included a two-play touchdown drive that began at the Arizona 19 following a turnover. Against the Buccaneers in the second preseason game, only two of the first seven drives went more than three plays.

“We’re happy with where we’re headed, and it’s just a matter of if we can get on a roll early as an offense and make plays and stay out there,” Munchak said. “That’s the only thing that’s been kind of discouraging with the offense in the first three games is that they’re just not extending drives, not staying on the field long enough.

“I feel with the guys we have, and that’s all the positions, if we stay on the field, we’re going to be hard to stop. As we get a feel for a game and get seven-, eight-, nine-, 10-play drives, I think that’s where we could take over games.”

The Titans were dominant on the ground in beating the Buccaneers, piling up 216 yards. But they rushed for only 85 yards against the Seahawks and 73 yards against the Cardinals.

“We just have to get more consistent every week,” Munchak said of the run game. “We’ve kind of been spotty, one game really good, one game OK. We need to get better. That’s the part of the game we’ll have to continue to work on.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

This is something the offense hasn't done with consistency for quite some time. If they can't make it happen against the Pats, I don't see the Titans with a chance of winning.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

On another note, he wants the defense to stop the other team. Probably would like to see no turnovers. Maybe score a bunch of points.

In other news, water is wet.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. davidc502

davidc502 Starter

I'm not sure how one can expect good continuity in a Run first then shoot style of offense. Defenses load the box on first and second downs then substitue for the 3rd and long in an obvious passing down.

I certainly hope the Titan's offense is just playing "vanilla" for the pre-season. Otherwise, it's going to be hard to watch 50% of the game.

On a positive, the Defense looks good.

5. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

if you want to extend drives then don't run on 2nd and 9 every time.

6. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

Play-calling so far has been spotty at best. Improve that and we'll have some extended drives.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I suggest having the players execute their assignments too perfection.

I mean everyone knew EG was geting the rock on 1st and 10 didnt matter EG got his 4 regardless

8. davidc502

davidc502 Starter

Agreed. If they can play top 10 defense, and execute the run and shoot offense to perfection, then they've got a great chance of making it to the play-offs.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I was being a bit over the top with 'perfection'

but in preseason the difference is usually just executing cause the Titans do not gameplan at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar