Munchak: Preston a better fit than Hawkins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans coach Mike Munchak said the decision to activate wide receiver Michael Preston from the practice squad on Sunday was both a reward for his improved play and because the team thought he was a good fit.

The 6-5, 206-pound Preston got the call ahead of veteran Lavelle Hawkins, who was inactive. Hawkins signed a three-year, $7.25 million contract during the past offseason.

“He’s been working hard,” Munchak said of Preston. “We feel he’s been improving quite a bit in practice. He always plays the scout team. The guy has great energy. He goes to get the balls. Quarterbacks have confidence in him from working with him.”

Munchak added that Preston’s size makes him a good fit at the “X” position, which is where Kenny Britt normally plays.

“We felt that (gave us) another big receiver up to help us give Kenny a rest at times, which we did in the game and let him go out and play,” Munchak said. “We thought that would be good for the rotation and we felt that if we needed another slot receiver, we could put (tight end Jared Cook) in the slot if someone got hurt.”

Preston played 12 snaps and recorded his first NFL reception, an 11-yard catch.

“I think Mike did a nice job in the game when he was in there,” Munchak said. “He caught a ball, blocked hard and had good energy.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

MM is all about 'energy'

heard him use that word many times in the last month

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Holy ****ing ****... Hawkins was signed to a 3 year/$7.25mil deal???

I knew we re-signed him, but I thought it was for absolutely nothing.

Good God we really are hopeless.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea we've been giving out contracts for nothing.

Where do I apply?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

7 mill is nothing in the grand scheme of things with the high cap.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

But you could use it on multiple depth players rather than one scrub #5 WR. Makes no sense to spend that much on the WR lowest on the depth chart.

7. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Boy if that isn't the definition of irony.

because he has none.

8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I swear I forgot all about Hawkins.

9. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I just want to know wtf Klug has been this year. He finally makes an appearance and gets 2 sacks

10. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Translation - Munchak: Hawkins sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar