Munchak Positives?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ten_Titans, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

"We went 9-7, better than we thought we would do".

"He had a super young team"

This is all I'm seeing. But there isn't any question in my mind that Jeff Fisher could have gone 11-5 this year playing old fasioned Fisher ball to the max.

Anyway, whether he should stay or go isn't the question here.

I actually have 3 questions that are not rhetorical(?). Those impressed with the season please respond.

Win or lose, the coach recieves the blame or credit. Especially if he doesn't have a track record to go on. But using this logic is much like being a stat wh***. One factor cherrypicked out of thousands doesn't tell the whole story.

So...

1) What aspects of Munchak's coaching are impressive other than the season record (just anything in general)

2) What games this year left you thinking "We outcoached that team"?

3) Would your response still be that way if Fisher was still coaching, in your opinion?

No, I'm not a fan of Munchak, but honestly, I think his style demands a high caliber team that only needs a steady, consistent coach. Much like the Packers.

Which is fine, but Jeff Fisher was that kind of coach too. We can go places with Munchak, but it just seems like he tried to play Fisher ball this year, and if we wanted to play Fisher ball....

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

With Fisher we would have probably gone 6-10 or 7-9. Although I don't agree with a lot of what Munchak does, he did have the balls to go for quite a few 4th downs that ended up being the difference games, whereas Fisher would have punted, kicked a FG.

I never really felt we outcoached any teams that come to mind, it seems like most wins were "wow we barely pulled that off or held them off at the end". That's really not the way you want to feel after wins. Even though we won, that mentality of playing and trying not to lose isn't going to do anything positive for you in the long run.

I would feel the same way with Fisher most likely because he had the same overall mentality. Once you get the lead, just run the ball 80% of the time and try to run 25 minutes off the clock.

Also with Fisher, CJ would have likely finished the year with 350 carries instead of 250, which probably wasn't a good thing this year. The running game wasn't working at all and if Fisher was here I'm sure he would have tried to stick with it even more than we thought Munchak did.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I liked the game plan the last two weeks(especially on offense). I wish we saw something similar the majority of the season.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Have you ever wondered why you see all those excuses in every thread? It's because it's true. You do realize we barely missed the playoffs with everything going against us right? What were your expectations?

Did you actually think Hass would play great an entire season and go our and throw for yards like Brees and Brady or for our defense to become a top unit overnight? Munch couldn't do a lot with this team this year but with a full off season I guarantee you things will start changing more. Unless you're the Packers, Saints, or Patriots who chuck the ball 40+ times a game most offenses pretty much put up the same numbers and ours took a big hit without Britt and a crappy CJ. The defense was the youngest starting defense in the NFL, the talent is there of course but with youth comes inconsistent play.

Take off the Titans glasses for a second and actually give a review of this team. If you're honest with yourself you'll be surprised this team even won 6 games.

• High Five High Five x 5
  5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

So...

1) What aspects of Munchak's coaching are impressive other than the season record (just anything in general)

Drafting, I believe he had a good amount of say in the drafting this year and by far the best draft we have had.

Stability. No qb carousel regardless of the fans crying and whining and being as fickle as possible, no stupid drama.

His hires weren't big names, but filled the roles fine, our passing game is a serious threat, although the run game took a hit.

2) What games this year left you thinking "We outcoached that team"?

This might seem crazy, but the saints... I think we out coached the saints. Yes. Our defense shut Brees down for the most part. We did an awesome job at keeping him out of the end zone. Yes we lost. But we did well in that game

3) Would your response still be that way if Fisher was still coaching, in your opinion?

What does fisher matter anymore? He is not here. This what if question is worthless and pointless. Get over fisher.

6. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I'm proud of what we did, but I do believe we left 2-3 games on the table.

Munchak seems to be a good coach, but a lot of us would think he did a great job if he showed some type of emotion.

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I think Fisher lost the team and for that reason they would have been a 5-7 win team. I also don't think he would have given the younger guys a chance to play as early and he would have kept Chuck Cecil.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

1) He was able to pull together a team that had imploded the past 2 years and keep them somewhat consistent throughout the year. He was able to successfully manage 2 new coordinators this year. Both units improved and made adjustments over the course of the year.

2) I can't believe people are forgetting the Saints game. We were definitely outmatched but showed up to play and were a play away from doing what only 3 teams did all year. I thought we out coached them that game.

3) I look at each situation individually. Fisher helped ruin our team's direction with his arrogance and stubbornness. People seem to forget that the team QUIT on him. We wen't 0-6 two years in a row not because we lacked talent, but because of issues involved with coaching. I'm excited about the direction Munchak has taken the team and I think with another draft or two we'll be competing for the division for years to come and be able to make some runs if we are smart in our re-signings and contracts.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

Draft was good and getting a vet to teach Locker and relay knowlege was huge.Just look at the jags qb and he has the leagues leading rusher.Given a full offseason Munchak would gain a ton of my respect by getting rid of guys who quit on the team and play soft just collecting a paycheck and bring a tough,hardnose style of player.

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

What I liked:

- Being aggressive on 4th down. I think we went for it 10 times this year (7 for 10 if I'm not mistaken). That is a HUGE departure from the conservative Fisherball we were used to. The "Play not to lose" instead of "playing to win."

- Munch is truthful and didn't give generic answers to every question he was asked. I can't tell you how tired I was of hearing "We/He had a good week of practice." I loved it that Munch called out players that weren't performing, something Fisher would never do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar