Munchak passes on long field goal

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Rob Bironas has made 11-game winning field goals in his career, including a 60-yarder to beat the Colts back in 2006.

With the game on the line in the closing moments on Sunday, however, Titans Coach Mike Munchak elected to punt instead of letting his kicker try for a 58-yard field goal.

The Titans and Colts were tied at 13-13 at the time.

“I thought about it, but there was too much time left to leave them the ball there,’’ Munchak said. “Even if he makes it, they get the ball and still have a chance to do something, but I just thought it was too far at that point.”

Even after the decision, the Titans had a chance to get the ball back in good field position after punter Brett Kern had a punt downed at the Indianapolis’ 6. But the Colts converted a third and 5 from their own 11, and ran out the clock to get to overtime, where they won, 19-13.

Bironas, who made field goals of 30 and 39 yards but missed a field goal from 45 yards in the game, made a field goal from 58 yards in pre-game warm-ups. Had he missed the kick in the closing minutes, the Colts would’ve gotten the ball at their own 48.

“As it turned out, we still had a chance if we can stop them on a third down. We get the ball and have a chance to win before regulation (ends). The worst case is it’s overtime like it was. It was just too far.”

Posted In: AFC South, League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Shoulda kicked the fg

3. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Nope he made the right decision. I would have rather of gone for it then tried to kick a 59 yarder!

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

If only Bironas was healthy... :/

And it was 58! Lol

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We would have given the colts the ball at the 46 if he missed and then all they would need is 2-3 running plays to get it inside our 15 for the winning FG.

I agree i think Bironas was less than 100% and that made the decision a no brainer.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

No way Bironas makes that kick, this isn't 2006.

7. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Should have recovered that fumble....... Still burns me they didn't even review it, pure BS! But I would have given Bironas the chance to make the 58 yarder for the win.

8. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

I don't think Bironas has been 100% or somethings not quite right with him lately. He's already missed 3 field goals so far and they weren't long ones either, these are ones that he almost always makes.

9. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Plus, not to mention the one that bounced off the upright and actually went in.

10. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

I would rather see them go for it then kick the fg there. B/c even if you do make it, you still give plenty of time to the colts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar