Munchak on Locker’s progress, health

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans coach Mike Munchak said he won’t talk about the team’s quarterback situation until he knows his own fate.

But assuming Munchak returns, it will be interesting to see how the team proceeds in regards to Jake Locker.

On one hand, Munchak liked what he saw in Locker’s progress this season, as the third-year quarterback improved his completion percentage while posting eight touchdowns versus four interceptions. In the season’s first four games, Locker threw six TDs and zero interceptions.

“We felt very good about the way it was heading,” Munchak said. “People were finally seeing what we saw in Jake Locker as he was progressing as a player in four weeks.

“The big thing to me was no turnovers, the fact he was so good with the football. That was a big concern going in, his decision-making … That’s the maturity I liked.”

It’s not out of the question that a healthier Locker could have led the Titans to the postseason.

“I’d love to see what was going to happen,” Munchak said. “Would the record have been any different? Obviously we hoped it would have been, enough to make the playoffs. But until we keep him healthy and get him 16 weeks, that’s the question.”

Therein lies the concern for the future, as Locker has missed 14 of a potential 32 starts over the last two years – including nine of 16 this year.

Munchak said the presence of a starting quarterback for the entire season was a huge reason for the 2011 team posting a 9-7 record, compared to this year’s 7-9 squad.

“I felt this year was better than (2011), but the constant to me is I’ll always say is that the quarterback played 16 games that year,” Munchak said. “I think that makes a huge difference. It’s not something to hide behind, just a fact.

“When you don’t have that, you don’t have (as many) things as you like. The biggest thing is staying healthy at certain positions, especially the quarterback position.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

**** that. We missed the playoffs that year because Munch trotted out Matt Hasselback against the Colts when he could barely get out from under center, costing us the game. Guess what? We missed the playoffs by one ****ing game again that season because we lost to the worst team in football in that game.

This guy and his excuses. I'm tired of them.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar