Munchak: Locker closing the gap on Hasselbeck

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

SEATTLE The more games like Saturday night’s, the more Titans fans are going to start clamoring for second-year pro Jake Locker to be the starting quarterback on Sept. 9 against the Patriots.

Veteran Matt Hasselbeck had a tough night against the Seahawks, his old team. He completed 5 of 9 passes for 45 yards and threw two interceptions. One of those picks was returned for a touchdown. Locker, meanwhile, completed 7 of 13 passes for 80 yards.

After the Titans lost 27-17 to the Seahawks, coach Mike Munchak hinted Locker might start in Friday’s preseason game at Tampa Bay. He also said Locker had closed the gap in the quarterback competition throughout the offseason.

“I don’t know if there was a big gap,” Munchak said. “Obviously Jake doesn’t have the experience Matt has, so I think that gap you can never really close if you are a young quarterback. But I think overall, as the season progressed last year, we thought that Jake was coming on real strong. … So yeah, he has closed the gap and they are obviously both doing well. We are happy with both of them and at some point we’ll make a decision.”

Munchak said Hasselbeck didn’t have as bad a night as his stats might suggest, however. He said it was hard to fault Hasselbeck for a ball that receiver Nate Washington deflected, only to see it end up in the hands of a Seattle.

Hasselbeck kicked himself for not playing better in front of family and friends, however. “But it happened,” he said, “and there is a lesson to be learned.”

Locker, meanwhile, looked especially sharp during a 2-minute drive at the end of the first half. His mistake-free football continued what he’s done throughout training camp. Locker has thrown only two interceptions during the first two weeks of training camp, compared to eight for Hasselbeck.

Locker didn’t want to discuss closing the gap or his chances of starting in the regular season.

“It’s not for me to decide,” Locker said. “It’s up to us to go out and play as well as we can and put our team in the best situation to win games. At the end of the day, I don’t get to make that decision, so I’m probably the wrong guy to ask.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Locker really seem to thrive in the two-minute. I think he'll start on Friday and look forward to what he'll do against the Bucs #1s.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Hopefully he starts friday and gets plenty of work with the 1st team ... When Munch targeted the 3rd PS game to name a starter did he mean he would name one after the 3rd game or before the 3rd game?

If he is wanting to name a starter by the 3rd game, then this next game may be Locker's chance to wrap up the competition. I hope that is the case because if Locker is named the starter before the 3rd game then he will have a couple exta weeks to prepare as the starter.

4. Inaccurate Passer

Inaccurate Passer Starter

Locker only losses the "competition" if he throws 15 picks in the next 3 games

5. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

TBR, on that second drive, when CJ was running around in circles as usual and HB came up and acted like he was going to lay a block; I was really hoping he would do it.

Locker gets the starting spot as HB goes down in a crack back blockin' blaze of glory.

As we all know, Locker has won the competition unless he decides to throw left handed for the rest of camp, so we will see how much of a competition this really is.

6. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I liked what i saw from Locker last night. I think he'll beat out Hass

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Oh my GOD

"… So yeah, he has closed the gap and they are obviously both doing well. We are happy with both of them and at some point we’ll make a decision.” -Munchak

I bet you could find the same quote from Jeff Fisher talking about KFC and Vince Young

8. theprizdfighter

I'd take that bet

9. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

I hope Locker keeps getting better, the only thing I hate about pre season is as soon as things start getting interesting the players get pulled. The only thing I don't like about Locker starting next week is that he will not get as many reps in.

10. theprizdfighter

That's not necessarily true

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar