Munchak: Jets hits on Locker unnecessary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Jake Locker’s injury on Sunday came about due to a pair of hits on one play.

New York Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson smashed his helmet into Locker’s upper torso after Locker had released a pass, and as Locker fell toward the turf, linebacker Quinton Coples leaned in and gave Locker another shot. Neither player was penalized on the play.

On Monday, Titans coach Mike Munchak called both hits “unnecessary” and said he spoke to the NFL about them.

“The first one, (Wilkerson) dropped his helmet into him and unloaded on him,” Munchak said. “You’re supposed to pull back on him when you’re late. He didn’t. The second one was totally unnecessary.”

Munchak described his conversations with the league as emotional.

“Football is football and guys are going to get hurt,” Munchak said. “But you’re hoping you can keep from avoiding things that maybe shouldn’t have happened. That’s emotional because we lost someone we feel is a big part of this team and this offense, and that makes it hard.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

I was very surprised there was no flag on that play. Complete bs. At least I read the nfl was looking into fining both of them.

3. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

If it were Manning or Brady both Coples and Wilkerson would have received life time bans.

• High Five High Five x 8
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

While I do agree it probably would've drawn a flag if it were Brady/Manning, I don't think it was as flagrant/malicious as a lot of Titan fans are making it out to be. We're just mad our starting QB is hurt.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

From ESPN:

"If it was late, they would've thrown a flag," Wilkerson said after the Jets' 38-13 loss at LP Field. "They didn't throw a flag. The ref told me it was a clean hit. I took my one step and that was that."

6. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

Wilkerson went in and lowered his helmet into the chest of locker. He took two steps after the ball was thrown and it was unnecessary. I get that sh** happens but that hit was very late, and I was screaming for a flag. C'Mon man! Hope those guys get fined

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Dear Wilkerson,

You can go straight to hell and die Muther' Fer'.

Sincerely,
    One pissed off Titan fan

P.S. What goes around comes around *****.

• High Five High Five x 4
  8. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

You've been smoking Brillo Pads with the local crack heads downtown you piece of Shyt!

9. madeupdreams

madeupdreams Starter

I thought the Wilkerson hit was late, but the big issue for me was the hit by Coples. I don't care if it wasn't a bone crushing hit, it was a blatant cheap shot after the ball was long and Jake was on his way down. That BS hit is what caused the injury.

• High Five High Five x 5
  10. Ryno

Ryno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

agreed. The first hit shouldve been flagged though I can tolerate it not being called as it was alteast part of the play, though as said above if it was other said QB's it wouldve been raining flags before he even hit the ground. But as you said the second hit by Coples was a late, dirty and COMPLETELY unnecessary hit which caused the injury and he's the one that should punished. You can't see his face but i have a feeling the ref walking in the background was looking upfield while the second hit happened and never even saw it.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar