Munchak And Titans Overall Plan For Center Position

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

First off, I know nothing about the ins and outs of actual playing football, so correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the Alabama Center, and the Michigan DT we took, both were dinged for being short.

I would think being short (to some degree, we are talking six footers here) would be an ADVANTAGE in the trenches? Don't I always hear about low pad level, and "so and so plays too high?"

All I know is, that Bama center opened the holes for Richardson and Ingram, and pushed the likes of Brockers and Cox around in the SEC. He should be pretty good.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yup, the 6 foot thing in the trenches helps Martin. Couple his height and strength and wrestling background and he's tough to get hands on and control well. The thing they look at the most seems to be arm length.

Vlachos, I know next to nothing about besides Ingram and Richardson saying he lead that offense.

3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I'm thinking we may have gotten ourselves a good deal here if this center from Alabama shows he has what it takes to belong in the league.If he blocked guys like Brockers and Cox and opened holes for Ingram and Richardson then he could very well make it here and take Amano's spot which we are all silently hoping and praying this player can do.

4. Don't forget he also went up against nick fairley and Dareus In practice... Both 1st round picks

5. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

So does anyone think this player just might have what it takes to ship Amano out of here?

6. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

No, I think Amano will be on the roster this year. Why not, we take the cap hit anyway, might as well keep him in case of injury at guard.

It wouldn't shock me to see either Valasco, Matthews, or the Bama kid start at Center this year at all. If Amano starts at all, I see it at guard, where he has been ok in the past. You gotta figure Hutch will demand doubles too, which should help the others.

7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Yeah, Being a little shorter should help with pad level and leverage, however taller guys on the Dline have the advantage of getting there hands up to disrupt the pass, as well as being able to reach and grab the RB or QB even if they are a little out of position. I really don't see how being a little shorter would hurt on the OL, maybe the shorter arm length might prevent them from getting a good extension on the block, but I don't see how a few inches could make as much difference for an OL like it could on DL seeing as how the OL cant (or isn't supposed to be able to) reach out and grab people.

I don't know abou silent haha

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

To answer whomever asked about why Amano got the center job, it's because Fisher and maybe Munch, too, asked him his preference based on seniority. Amano said he was "more comfortable" at center. More comfortable sucking, that is.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

About being a pass first team: do most of us think otherwise? We became one last year. We're evolving into more of one, IMO. Anyone really think the Titans will continue to brick Chris Johnson into Amano and an unrepaired run-blocking OL? I don't.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Here's the deal with Wright. He can break off a route and get open for a QB when the play breaks down. He used to be a QB himself. Locker has some of the same traits RGIII has. This is why he was the pick.

This ties into the OL. Locker is the X-Factor. He can gain some ground in the run game, a la VY. Defenses have to stay at home once burned too often by a running QB and dare him to throw. Fix a spy, one less guy in coverage. Rush to stop the run, get burned by the hot read. To Gut's point, I don't think Locker will be the QB on his back as much with his ability to escape. Maybe Hass. But Locker is more deadly on the run. This is part of what Wright is here for.

Once teams have to respect and play the pass, that box clears out. Even if not, which it will, the Titans will continue to get CJ the ball in space. How do I know? Well, even in his worst year, he accounted for over 1450 total yards and 60 first downs, and that really really "sucked." His TDs decreased a lot, yes, but a lot of other guys got in on the TDs last year.

We were weapon-limited and OL hampered. I will GUARANTEE that won't be the case again.

Bookmark it. Anyone hi-fiving me on this post can have a free pizza or six-pack on me at season's end if I'm wrong. And I'm a man of my word.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar