Munchak And Titans Overall Plan For Center Position

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Gut,

-Kendall Wright is very highly rated as a WR and is a deep threat that this team doesn't have. He's going to come right in and contribute whether it's on the outside or in the slot. You also forget that Britt is injury prone and well has some off the field issues, he provides insurance just in case Britt can't stay on the field like so far in his career. This also gives Locker another weapon for the future, the keys to success for a young QB are what weapons are around him. We're putting Locker in the best situation possible to come in, be successful, and win games for us. What it all comes down to is Locker and setting him up for success in the future. Do we need help on the OL? Absolutely but the staff had Wright as the best player available even with DeCastro. The staff obviously thinks they have the players to improve the OL and with a full off season along with both Munch and Matthews on the staff don't count them out. This was a BPA pick to get more talent on this team, especially the offensive side.

-How can you say Brown is a bust when he hasn't played one down in the NFL yet? He has all the tools to be successful he just needs some coaching up and if Gray didn't think he could handle the job they would've drafted someone else. He's very good in coverage, very fast, and very athletic. If Gray can coach him up he won't be a bust, he'll be a steal. Will he start this year? Maybe later in the season but expect to see him early against the better TE's and more spread out offenses. Spoon is solid but he's not getting any better and getting older.

-Agreed.

-Why would we trade up for an OG/C when there is plenty of depth at the position. I'm not going to refer to mock drafts and these "experts" but look at where these guys are graded at. We picked up Vlachos who was a projected 5th round pick and there were some others available to grab if we didn't want him. We have Velasco, Harris, Amano, Matthews, and Vlachos all competing for two spots on the OL. The problem will get fixed and if the staff feels like Amano is starting Center then so be it, two of the best offensive lineman know more than anyone on a keyboard. I don't expect Amano to be starting Center but that's what camp and practice and the weight room is for. We were able to grab a good CB for added depth who seems made for this defense and traded up for a freakish athletic TE who can have just as big of an impact on offense as Wright.

-Look at the start of the off season and look at what we needed. This front office and staff did a great job of bringing in players to come right in and make an impact. The only negative is we don't know who starts at OG and C yet, that's the only problem. We added weapons for Locker, added Hutch, added speed on defense, got a great pass rusher in Wimbley, and added more depth in some areas of need.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I've thought similarly. I can't decide though if Harris should get a crack at center after they decided to let Amano pick which position he got to play. It was Harris' natural position anyway.

3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Ah, a good ol' Gut battle of wits.

4. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I trust our FO knows what they are doing. A stellar draft last year surprised many of us...this draft may not turn out to be as spectacular but I'm sure we have some gems mixed in.

I love the Wright pick...while I may have taken the team in another direction the pick makes sense.

5. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

It will take a whole lotta 'fixing' if Amano is to remain center. That guy was so bad last year, i think i blocked some of it out.

He will need better technique, better choosing who to assist, he will need to be better blocking one on one, faster off the snap, and he will need to be stronger (both upper and lower body) - just for starters that is....

I think LeRoy can play but i also think Valz can play too. Right now my line would look like this:

Roos / Hutch / LeRoy / Valz (not the undrafted rook) / Stewy

(Valz/LeRoy could switch and if Mattews is better then one of them, then so be it.)

6. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I got to go with Playmaker on this one.

Wright is Britt insurance. If Britt develops, the team is all the richer. Washington has 2 more years on his contract I think. It's a passing league now, and the Titans wanted to start the draft on that note. My speculation is that short-term signing Hutch negated the need to take DeCastro and freed them to take Wright.

Whether or not Zach Brown proves to be smart or not, it was about drafting Witherspoon's replacement now and not having to shove a rookie out there when WW's contract expires after this season. Keep in mind the Titans are already scouting next year's class, too, and would know who the FA options for next year might be.

Yeah, we all agree on Mike Martin.

I still trust the Titans to evaluate CB depth late. But I'll address the interior OL. Pretty much every year some of us want to force a pick when the value is not there. They admitted they were interested in Konz. If they wanted him, though, they would have gotten him. Maybe injury did it. Maybe it was coach speak. Either way, He fell, just as every other center did. There's now 5 candidates for that job on the roster. FIVE.

I'm not sure if Thompson will be a TE or DE, but to me it sounded like the door was open for both. Martin was considered the best coverage safety in the draft. Scott Solomon is a poor man's KVB.

So I think the plan is to pass first, which was NOT a problem for our current OL, which has been upgraded with Hutchinson, like it or not. The most impact that could have been made at the end position was to shore up the middle. That's been done. Even if they were interested in any of them, FOUR were gone before pick 20. The rest were not a value to them.

It is what it is.

7. joeman546

joeman546 Rookie

Something missing about William Vlachos:

He is very short for a center. I admit I do not know how that affects a center making the transition to the NFL, but it is what caused him to be devalued.

Devalued yes, he wasn't even invited to the combine. Not even projected as a draft pick until his proday(Webster was there too)

If he was 6'4 instead of 6'-6'1 hed have been a third rounder probably.

So a boom or bust guy kinda like Finnegan was. He has had a history of success against top DTs to give us hope.

8. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

they put to much into a players height...vlachos has played for three full years i believe and lead them to have a 1000 yard back 2 or 3 years in a row...he is a solid pass blocker but a better run blocker...he was constantly facing big defensive dt from the bigger collegiate schools.

i think it was a solid pick up as i wanted us to take him in the 4th round until he started slipping then i wanted to take him with our 7th so getting him as a undrafted free agent, thats a big pick up

i think he will start for us by the time this season is over if not before

9. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Honestly, this is the first real decision that has made me question Munchek as a coach. I see no reason that out of 8 centers better then Amano we couldn't get a single one.

10. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Amano is only 6 foot

Wikipedia says he is 6'3" but no way he is that tall. Pretty sure he's only 6 foot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar