Munchak And Titans Overall Plan For Center Position

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I'm wondering if they plan on grooming William Vlachos the undrafted Alabama player to eventually take on the position.If they did it with a 7th round pick then chances are good they will do it again.

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I'm not sure, im actually confused about it.

I watched some of the post-pick vids and Mike was saying things like 'fills a need' a lot. I rarely heard him talk about BPA, so i dont get how when apparently tryin to 'fill a need' not one interior linemen was drafted.

Either way dont rule out good undrafted linemen, a lot of good players go undrafted. I just hope we can find one. I made a comment earlier about 3 or 4 players that i woulda liked, but we didnt get any of them (Brewster, Jones, Sauls, Nix)

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

We took the BPAs that made best sense for us over all.

The thought process was that an explosive player at WR would impact more than a great pulling guard would for us so we took wright

That a speedster LB with technique issues would play bigger than an injury prone Center in Konz

Martin I think was our target in the 3rd and we needed the run stuffing versatile DT

I think we originally targeted Ben Jones in the forth and settled for the high upside CB that runs 4.3 after Texas snagged our target. He was in the upper tier of Centers in this class and didn't expect the non needing texans to take him ahead of us. Every other C bout fell off entirely. They didn't bother.

Thompson was traded up for after we lost our top prospect in round 4 and others were coming off quickly. High talent level added in with elite size for the position.. They didn't think he would make it to round 5.

Markelle Martin slid from original analysis as maybe the second or third best S in a weak class because of injury... 6th round... Why not.

Solomon is stupid roid strong DE with high motor... Again high upside, no risk.

Looking at what we needed and got, we took the best fit along with what we needed without reaching.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

My responses are in bold...

Gut

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Clark

Here's the difference in mentality of offense... I don't think we are worrying about running the ball as much anymore. If that was the plan, I think it's very reasonable to believe we would have secured decastro and Konz.. Instead we are pass blocking, we didn't have problems with that...

The wright pick also adds to this thinking. Adding depth and an explosive player. Think giants, green bay, high caliber O when added in with the other targets we already have.

Could we have took decastro in the first and plugged him in? Yes. And that was what I expected, FO decided against it. Do I think we reached? No. It's logical to believe we can still throw the ball.

Does amano stay as a starter? I hope not. But things didn't pan how the FO wanted either. Taking a risk and not getting your guy happens. Part of the draft.

6. Clark

Brown is a boom or bust guy. That's not a debate. I don't think they valued Konz there much because of his injury history.

7. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Brown is a very good pick if he gets his work ethic in line, which i believe this staff will. The more reading ive done on the guy, and listening to people who know their crap when it comes to football, the more excited i get about this pick.

Afraid of contact? 105 tackles. Maybe if he wasnt scared of contact he would have 150 or something? Hes a wrap up tackler instead of a hit you in the mouth tackler.

Watch and see. He will be good.

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I don't know Gunny...if we had made that a priority, I sure do think we could have lured him away. I just think they probably were low balling offers....just guessing mind you but with all the ones coming through and knowing they would be playing for two HOF Oline guys....I have to believe that if we had been really serious we could have gotten Myers or Wells.

9. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

I just wish they would come out and say something about their plan

10. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

This FO dafted to have the best team in the long run, not the best quick fixes for next year, which is smart.

Yes, I expect Kendall to be starting as the third receiver this year, and supplanting Washington the year after, if not before.

I expect Brown to see a lot of time this year. Will he start over Spoon? I doubt it, but I think that the pick signals that this is Spoon's last year here. The Titans saw that his contract is coming up, knew they wouldn't want to renew it, and replaced him a year early, giving his replacement a chance to grow a year.

Which is what smart teams do. That's what the Texans were doing with taking Jones. Putting Wells on notice and preparing to lose him.

You can argue that's what our Thompson pick was about. Cook has underperformed his talent big time. If he doesn't blow up this year, the FO might let him walk, if Thompson shows the goods.

Same thing with Griffin and Merkle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar