Munch on Hawkins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfan77, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Do you think Chris Simms started for us during the regular season or something? Does that not make sense to you that I was referring to preseason?

Anyway, sorry Marc was too busy returning kicks and punts into the pro bowl to get any playtime at WR. Not like Fisher would have put any deep depth chart guy that showed promise into the starting lineup anyway.

2. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Oh you meant pre season? I don't remember him doing much in the pre season.

Lol and as i said, Marc is a GREAT returner. I love the guy. But as a WR, he has showed nothing. If he had a good preseason game and banking on one showing, remember this. Paul Williams had a TD catch in the first pre season game in 09. Guess he deserved more time eh?

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Nate doesn't play slot for us, and he played well last season so there's no reason to believe he'll lose significant playing time to Hawk or Mariani...unless we'll actually run plays designed to utilize Mariani's and Hawk's strengths, then yes, I'm all up for them taking away some snaps from Nate. What I mean by that is Mariani and Hawk are both shifty guys and be be very useful in 3rd and short, snap and quick throw situations, the way Welker is used that annoys the hell out of defenses.

Edit: Nate doesn't play slot for us...yet, I can see D-Will moving into the starting line up before the end of the season though, he's practically better than Nate at everything.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I can't see Hawk beating out Washington and D-Will then having his time split with Mariani and Cook in the slot.

5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

At this point, i don't see any receiver on this roster that's better than Nate. Except Kenny. Why? Because NONE of them have showed anything. That's all im saying. What have you all seen that has you so pumped? I love our guys, but there seems to be some expectation that eventually DWill will be 2 and Marc will be 3. And i just don't see how. Marc has shown nothing at receiver and DWill had 16 catches. Certainly no eye poppers there. I hate to sound like such a downer, but it just seems like you all are making some pretty homer predictions. As far as im concerned, Britt is our 1, Nate is our 2, and DWill, Hawk, and Marc are all battling for 3. With no one possessing an edge over another.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Go to a Steelers forum and ask their opinion on Washington. Ask them if they want him back.

He was known for making tough and spectacular catches but frequently dropping catches he should have made.

His story as a Titan has been the same.

At best he is a #3 WR. He is just too unreliable to be a #2.
    His speed makes him a deap threat and a great decoy but when you give him the ball more he hurts the team with his inconsistency.

It's frustrating trying to get dropped catches stats for him as sites grade dropped passes differently. IMO his yearly drops have been in double digits but he's classed as dropping less than 10 each season.

What can't be denied though is percentage of catches made. For his entire career he's barely above 50% for catches made of balls thrown to him.

The scary thing is that although he's known as a deap threat the majority of passes thrown to him by the Titans haven't been deep balls. His percentage should have improved with the Titans but it hasn't.

We and the Steelers have seen enough of him to know he can never be relied on to make the high percentage catches.

Play him as a #2 and he will stall drives and hurt the offence.

He's best used creatively when we take shots at big plays against defences.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

For what it is worth Mariani had 7 catches for 131 yards (18.7 avg) in the pre-season and I believe he had the most catches for the Titans. I know that is just pre-season but I'm guessing the Titans fully intend to have him as more than just a return guy on the roster. Obviously we have no idea what Mariani's ceiling is as a WR but I think optimistically he should have a good chance of developing into a slot or #3 WR at minimum.

Washington is basically what he is. A #3 WR. He is a #2 on a team that doesn't have a strong #2 at this point. He has enough ability to be effective if he isn't a guy the defense focuses on (as Childress said, he can make big plays when used creatively) but he isn't exactly going to break out and be Reggie Wayne or something. He isn't consistent enough. What you see with him is what you will get. He might put up a little better stats in a better passing attack but he is at his ceiling IMO.

So you have Mariani who may still have the potential to be significantly more than Washington but IMO could be on par with him as soon as this season. He has great hands so his reliability might be better, he has good open field running ability after the catch which potentially gives him a ig play ability and he might be more versatile being able to produce in the slot as well as outside.

8. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

this is starting to get on my nerves...since you seem to like to repeat yourself with illogical statements

they haven't shown anything because they weren't given anything to begin with... It's too hard for Fisher to change his starters around... heck, Britt got on the field because Gage was basically too hurt to play... and after that monstrous game against the Eagles... Fisher knew that hell would come his way if he put Gage back in (which he didn't anyways since he was pretty much done for the season)

Why didn't he replace Hope? Why didn't he put Moss in with Britt? Why was Amano still in center after sucking it up for the whole season, and why in the world was Scaife still starting after dropping an easy go ahead TD against the Jags?!?!

DWill runs crisps routes better than Nate, Hawkins is about 10x more athletic than Nate.... and if you've ever played football, you know that fielding punts and kicks is hard.. I hated predicting where that ball would be with all the wind while the opposing team is yelling random crap in your face trying to get you to drop the kick... much rather get open to catch a pass

In the end, Fisher was stubborn.. and unless you put up 200 yds and 3 TDs that makes your homeboy Collins look like Manning, in terms of starting there's always "next" year

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Nash

Nash Starter

Washington is not too bad on turn around, hook patterns and similar routes that a slot guy might run.. unfortunately we are paying like a deep speed receiver which means he has to make catches over his shoulder, out of frame etc which he's not so good at..Washington's best spot is the slot IMO, and I'd love to see him and Hawkins focus on that position

Mariani, Williams, and Cook all have the skills to play outside,and they seem to be willing blockers..I'd let those 3 plus Britt be the outside guys..

Which means we need a TE in Free Agency ..

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

At some point next season Britt and Damian should be the starters, Nate is still a deep ball threat, now that we got a QB with a cannon Nate might be more useful. Hawkins and Mariani will fight for playing time, i would give the edge to Mariani but Hawkins does have more playing time. that battle could go either way. either way i think we are great at WR, deciding to who gets to play is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar