Munch: "I ain't changin' chit"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

I doubt it.

But if your players aren't playing well..:

1) Try to motivate players

If that doesn't work

2) Make changes

Munch seems to be doing neither; almost making a point to do neither

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe not the world but that's the way it has to be for any professional athelete to be their best.

It as common knowledge during those back-to-back six game losing streaks. The most obvious was the 59-0 Patriots loss. Young as much as said it, out loud, in the locker room.

Fisher was criticized often for not adjusting when opposing teams did. He saw a lot of success with those first 15 plays and usually did have an answer afterwards. Game manager? Please.

3. TitanJeff

How do you know it's not working if the players are not executing? You think Palmer draws up a play where Harris is to be knocked back into the backfield on a run? I'm seeing players out-of-position, whiffing tackles, missing blocks, not hitting the hole, throwing inaccurately, etc.

Sure, it's always fair to question coaching decisions but nothing works if players can't execute. That's why we're hearing Munch now talk about simplifying the gameplan and focusing more on what the team does well.

4. Joe Blaque

Joe Blaque Starter

Talking about the OL specifically, the players on this line (as well as Hutch, who came from power blocking schemes in both Seattle and Minnesota) executed a power blocking scheme just fine. Then we switch to zone last year because that's what Palmer wants to do. It is fairly obvious at this point that the guys we have are not going to excel, much less execute, a zone blocking scheme.

Which is why I question why Munch is allowing this to go down when he ran power blocking schemes on his line before last year when he was the OL coach.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I'm not trying to defend Fisher and call him a great coach or anything. But he at least knew/knows what he's doing. Munchak is a lost dog out there, in over his head.

Yeah Fisher was stubborn and stood by things that weren't working at the time. But at least his system HAD worked before. Munchak came in and signed his youth day buddies and implemented a system that looks like a complete joke.

I don't think Munchak will ever get to 20 career wins , let alone 142..

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Jeff, I get where you're coming from, but there comes a point when your players have failed sufficiently many times, that you have to adjust what you ask them to do, rather than to expect them to suddently improve by leaps and bounds. This is particular relevant to the OL, where the problem already existed last year and the attempt to bring in 1 (read, ONE) OL, who isn't even a good fit for the scheme to begin with, to fix the problem has had zero, if not a negative impact.

If you want to give the defence a pass, because it's only 2 games (plus preseason) with Gray's scheme (remember we ran mostly Chuck Cecils scheme last year because of the lockout), I could accept that, if it wasn't for some glaring idiocies, such as leaving a +15 yard gap between your CBs/LBs and Safeties.

7. TitanJeff

Yet his record last season was better than Fisher's previous two and he barely missed the playoffs.

8. TitanJeff

You guys won't hear me defending Munch when it comes to the OL. It's been broken for more than two seasons. He was still the OL position coach when it started to decline. But I will also admit I am not educated enough to know how much of it is broken due to scheme, lack of talent or just poor execution. I personally don't think just a change of scheme is going to fix things. It may improve but I think the position has been neglected from both a draft and free agency standpoint.

I honestly feel the success of the Titans begins and ends with the OL. I'm old school in that regard. If the OL does its job, the run game gets going and opposing offenses stay on the sideline. Jake gets more time to read defenses. If I am the Titans GM, I go the route of the Niners and others who make getting top talent at OL a priority. Munch used to "coach up" late-round and undrafted free agents but, IMO, it's a crap shoot that has finally caught up with the Titans.

9. Joe Blaque

Joe Blaque Starter

I fully agree with you on that. We should have showed Meyers the money (reading around other sites people with more knowledge than I have suggested we simply lowballed Meyers), and then drafted 1 or 2 linemen who have lateral agility and quickness who are suited to the zone blocking scheme, if that is the scheme we intend to run.

However, I still stand by the fact that the guys we do have right now are best suited for a power blocking scheme. We ran a power blocking scheme for a very long time, and only switched over to zone last season. In the 2010 season, CJ still had success running the football (1300 yards), and the line did not look bad. In 18 games, it has been shown that the players we have (both CJ and the OL) do not play well in a zone scheme. This kind of coaching is asinine. Great coaches create game plans and schemes to fit the players they have to work with, not the other way around.

Chris Palmer needs to be held accountable.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

When the draft concludes and they have skipped OL for seven rounds you gotta wonder what they thought priorities and/or contingencies were at the time. The Manning debacle and failure to bring in essentially anyone outside of Hutch being a full month prior to the draft makes me think they might have really thought they had the bodies ready to be "coached up".
    Sad state if they were hanging the season on Eugene being healthy..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar