Movies you dislike that everyone else seems to love...

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Deuce Wayne, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

Ever notice how children don't play "make believe" as often as they did 30 or more years ago? Ever notice you can't go to a movie theatre without hearing someone walking out of the movie saying "that would never happen in real life" WELL NO CRAP ITS A MOVIE! No one left the Blob saying "that wasn't realistic." I leave the critique for after the movie... way after.

Its a blessing to be able to emerse yourself 100% into any movie no matter how original/realistic/funny/etc. I'm blessed. There are few movies I don't enjoy on some level or another.

That being said there are movies I REFUSE to watch a second time...

ALMOST FAMOUS - I don't get it, why did it make such a big splash. I'm honestly asking anyone who is a big fan of the movie. I can see its merits, but as a whole it sucked my soul into the bottomless pit of despair. I celebrated its ending.

DUNE - Its been years since it was played on tv every weekend... but years isn't nearly long enough. You want to make me suffer? Force me to watch Dune for hours on end... I'm likely to vomit then blind myself with a mechanical pencil

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE - Can't believe I agree with gloat, its really not funny. Its hilarious, however, to watch thousands of imitations of this movie. Thats the only comedy it has brought to my life. I prefer subtle, dark, or british comedy. Death to Smoochy, Meaning of Life... I'd even take a bad Mathew McConaughey movie over this one. ANYTHING BUT ND!!!!!!

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Those movies are as mainstream as they come.

No way in hell.. but hey whatever floats your boat

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Ha Dune.. It was David Lynch so it had it's moments of pure bizarre madness (The Harkonnens specifically) but for the most part it was one big over-hyped turd.

I can take it or leave it but I agree about the imitations - including Hot Rod (haha Gloat)...

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Not my fault I was in acting classes and film camp at a young age... This stuff came naturally... has nothing to do with what others think.

For my age, this stuff isn't mainstream. When the majority of these movies were mainstream, I was around 8 or 9 years old.

Same goes for my taste in music. It may have been mainstream in the 70s or 80s, but not now. There are very few current artists that I am a fan of. There's no way in hell I'll listen to that top 40 crap music ever again.

If I was a fan of mainstream, I wouldn't be a Titans fan.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

High lob... anybody wanna intercept?

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Who are you to judge what's good or average? I think 99% of that cheesey zombie garbage you love is pure trash and comedy in accidental form. But I'm not acting like I have the final say on what's good and what's not.
    Many movies on my list I expect wouldn't make someone else's.

And no, I don't believe only recent movies are good, but i can't make myself watch old films. I don't have access to them, and nothing makes me want to go rent 'Gone With the Wind'. Though One Flew wasn't made in the last 15 years.

I'm 26. I'd say it makes perfect sense that the movies I like were made from the age I was old enough to begin enjoying these types til now. Doesn't it? I'm not 60 like yourself. I probably missed many good movies from the 70s. I wasn't born yet, so don't fault me for not being 20 when the classics you mention were made.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I never claimed you were a fan of anything.
    I just stated a fact in that that those movies are mainstream - ala major studio nationally released theatrical flicks starring A-list Hollywood actors directed by A-list Hollywood directors. There's really nothing to debate about that.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Just stating my opinion. If you wanna take as "final say" that'll be a freebie on me.

That really is too bad because you're depriving yourself of some 75 years of genuinely great cinema. Turner Classics is a great place to start.

That's why I said "most" and not all...

RDRR - I'm not 60 either (and enjoy 26 because you're 10 minutes from being 40). At the "age I was old enough to enjoy these type movies" - sometime in the late 70's early 80's - I went back and dug into the classics as well and the library of what was available at the time was much more limited than it is today so your gripe is no excuse.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

... so why are you stating it? What's the relevance? A-List actors are only A-List due to being in movies that sell themselves. Good actors choose good scripts, usually.

As for mainstream? City of God isn't mainstream. Many people wouldn't even know of it if you mentioned it. Primal Fear the same way. That was before anyone knew Edward Norton. Into The Wild? Office Space is popular but didn't even make a dent in theaters. Many were popular, yes. But that's because they were APPEALING.

That's the problem. People want to find some abstract nonsense to pretend they like, so they feel intellectual or smarter than the average movie watcher. It's annoying. That's why critics praise the most pretentious movies.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I haven't seen Into the Wild yet. I was planning to, but never got around to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar