Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Puck, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I don't think there will be a superhero burnout as long as the studios keep producing quality. Now when movies like the new Fantastic Four and the Spider-Man movie are released, then there's a higher risk. Most people love what Marvel is doing and maybe even more people are excited for what DC has planned. It's Sony and Fox that need to get it together.

A lot of people see comic book movies like Westerns, just a passing phase. This is wrong. Comic movies are here to stay. They bring in a ton of money, automatic summer success and studios have the means now to make them look great. Instead of every comic movie before Blade (and even some after that).

2. The Playmaker

Also, saw The Martian a few days ago. Enjoyed the book more, Hollywood had to make it more Hollywood of course. Still a pleasant surprise and Matt Damon killed it, very tough role.

3. RTH

RTH Meh...

Honestly, I don't have a problem with reboots if they haven't gotten them right. IF they get it right, it will be "glorious"...

Marvel rebooting what they have would be awful since they've been hitting them out of the park lately.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

FOX is finally on track with the X-Men movies... they are, at least, good.

Here's my theory on Sony: they are lending Spider-man to Marvel for Civil War. This way, Sony doesn't HAVE to do ANOTHER origin movie. Instead, they let Marvel introduce him - which they have been EXCELLENT at - then run with the established character in their own movies. Win-win for both studios.

Now Fox needs to figure out FF4... hell, let them get established through an X-Men crossover!

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

F4 should just be put back in the closet for another 25 years.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I've said it before, but imo F4 is one property that is just never going to translate very well to the big screen. You got one character who is invisible, then you got stretchy man, then you got another guy made out of rocks. The only one who is even remotely visually interesting is Torch, and in this day and age a guy on fire still comes off as somewhat boring.

I think it's an extremely tall task to put those characters as the leads in a feature film and not have it come off as extremely corny.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Don't count your eggs.
    Everything changes. the cycle may last a while longer - but not forever.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

It's a given that special effects aren't that special any more, and can often be highly detrimental to the film (Star Wars prequel trilogy, Mars Needs Moms) so character development- and a good story-is still going to have to be strong enough to overcome any dependence upon cinematography and sfx. I just don't see how this franchise is going to provide that.

9. The Playmaker

Marvel isn't rebooting. There is a reason why every phase 3 solo movie, except one, is a new character. They're going to rotate guys in and out. Which kinda makes what they're doing even more impressive. The two biggest Marvel names when the MCU started was Spider-Man and Wolverine, owned by Sony and Fox. They turned Iron Man into a top hero and Captain America into an actual cool character (at least in Winter Soldier). Considering the lack of star comic book hero power, it's just easier for them to swap characters instead of always having the same guys and just rebooting.

DC, on the other hand, will probably always have to have Superman or Batman involved to have success.

10. The Playmaker

Nothing lasts forever, but I've heard about "superhero fatigue" since the first Avengers and Marvel is still raking in billions and they're not slowing down anytime soon. I'm actually glad Whedon is out of the picture, his influence was too much in Age of Ultron. Russo brothers are taking over for basically every important project. Black Panther is being directed by Gary Gray. Scott Derrickson is directing Doctor Strange with a cast that includes Benedict Cumberbatch, Rachel McAdams, and Chiwetel Ejiofor. Emily Blunt is probably going to be Captain Marvel, James Gunn is back for the second Guardians, and Marvel will actually create a great Spider-Man. Also can't forget about Agents of Shield actually being solid now, Daredevil being great and Jessica Jones already getting rave reviews.

Like I said, as long as the quality is there then the genre will continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar