Movie Thread 2: Comic Book films

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by CRUDS, Jul 30, 2014.

1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I really liked Watchmen. Of course I saw it before I read the comic. IDK if my opinion would've changed had that been flipped. I kinda doubt it though. To be completely honest, I started to get bored with the comic (sacrilege I know). But maybe that was only because I had just seen the movie.
  2. RTH

RTH Meh...

That's just it... Moore is about substance, not style. It's why there are college classes revolved around his stuff. His comics have something to say, most of the time.

The movie was more about the style... action sequences that weren't in the original material.

It was decent... but was severely dumbed down - if you were familiar before the movie.
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Yeah, I'm honestly pretty meh on Snyder. I thought 300 was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen. Man of Steel was decent but ultimately forgettable. Watchmen and his DotD remake were the only ones I've ever felt compelled to go back and watch again.

As for Watchmen, I don't dispute it was dumbed down. But most book -> movie interpretations are. And this is kinda getting back into the Michael Bay argument territory again, but they were making that movie for mass appeal not necessarily to appease the fanboys. I think if it didn't have as much action as it did many movie-goers (who were not familiar with the source material) would've felt gypped and the movie would've been even less well-received. Rightly or wrongly, they marketed that thing as a "superhero movie".

I thought the movie "worked" as-is. But like I said I had no ties to the source material so I was going in blind.
  4. RTH

RTH Meh...

It's expectations.
  5. CRUDS

CRUDS TRADE DOWN Tip Jar Donor

Just after Legally Blonde
    • High Five High Five x 1
  6. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Starter

Captain America 2 was good but the Winter Soldier could have been an iconic villain, he was cool until he took off his mask.
  7. 520

520 Starter

Lih. So winter soldiers a bad guy? All this time i thought it was jus captain america movie set in december.
  8. Tennessy XO

Tennessy XO @TennessyXO

He is going to be one of the main protagonist in the 3rd movie. Cap and Falcon chasing him down.

Cap will die in Avengers 3 by Thanos. Bucky will pick up the shield and join the fight against Thanos.

Winter Soldier becomes the new Captain America because they have the actor signed for like 9 movies.

There, I just saved hours in a theater and admission costs.
  9. avvie

avvie Ke ali'i o na okole Tip Jar Donor

It occurs to me that Marvel just released two movies back-to-back whose climactic scenes involve giant airships crashing. FWIW.
  10. 520

520 Starter

Cuz marvel sucxxzx