Mort says Fisher out.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big Time Titan, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'm not against changing schemes, you build a strong case for it. SF's NT Franklin is a FA and would be a nice fit if we did switch.

One thing I noticed about Rivera is that he's coached 4-3 and 3-4 defenses so he's well versed in both.

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

After we got over the Fisher and VY thing most of the posts actually make a lot of sense.

I'm starting to become proud to be a Titans "fan" again

3. Big Time Titan

I have also noticed this. Vibes are starting to change to a more positive feel. Gotta love it.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You don't think watching a player for five years in every OTA, training camp, practice, film room sesson and game would give the coaches a good idea of the ability of their QB?

Dinger/Fisher gave Young the benefit of the doubt this season, IMO, and added more responsibility. That came back to bite them in the butt against the Steelers.

Young will continue to progress. But that progress has been slow so far and he may never get to the level needed to run a complex offense. His limitations certainly impact what the Titans can do with their offensive scheme right now.

5. Big Time Titan

I have too much respect for ya Big Kahuna so I'm just gonna say that we agree to disagree. We don't necessarily see eye to eye on it but that's fine. We both love this team and that much we can agree on.

6. TBaker34

TBaker34 Starter

I would love a3-4 switch. Like you said we have a lot of the pieces already and most of the great Defenses run a 3-4. A 3-4 D with the Offense we have, providing the qb position gets fixed we could be a contender next year

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm cool with that. We're just talking. I'm really not hating on VY. I'd love for the light bulb to come on for him and he sudden be a franchise QB.

Bottom line for me is knowing the more complex the offensive scheme, the more is asked of a QB to make reads based on what the defense does. When VY was a rookie, he pretty much had one read. If his main target was covered, he checked down or took off. Teams had adjusted by his second season and he was forced to make multiple reads because defenses were spying him. The result was a pretty mediocre sophomore season.

He's gotten better but, even in camp, he checks down too often which leads me to believe he is still struggling with the reads or making fast-enough decisions.

8. 24

24 Starter

I disagree with this completely. I think the only player on our roster that is capable of playing in the 3-4 is Jason Jones. You could argue that Tony Brown can also play DE. But, we have no NT, and our linebackers can barely cover, let alone our DE. Can you picture Ford or Hayes in coverage? Babin tried OLB in Houston, and that didn't work.

Derrick Morgan would have to bulk up to play DE, and during the draft process it was believed that the Dolphins were very interested in Morgan as an OLB in the 3-4, not DE. For the most part, the responsibilities of the secondary remain the same. If you want to get fancy, with zone blitzes, then Griffin can be used like Polamalu. But, then who would play the free range cover safety? Chris Hope? We should stick with the 4-3, for now at least.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I hear what you're saying, but I still think we're a few pieces away.

Morgan can beef up a bit, he's around 280 now which is a bit lightish for the 3-4 but he plays the run well so I think he'd be just fine. As far as the LB's go, we'd have to land Woodley and draft another LB, 1st or 2nd round I'm guessing. No, Ford would be gone as would Hayes, Babin could play a reserve role as DE. Hope would be toast and with Griffin moving to SS it wouldn't matter anyway. We'd have to draft a fast free safety, an Eric Berry type. So we'd be talking drafting a safety, OLB and MLB in the first 3 rounds.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Big Time Titan

I'm with that whether we switch to 3-4 or not. Those are the areas we need to improve on anyway. OL might also be right up there with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar