Morgan a priority in FA

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Until we are better than 2-14, we are going to overpay anyone that comes in and replaces him. We have tons of cap room and it has to be spent. If we let Morgan walk, and cant find 2 LB's to replace him, then we downgrade a position. Thats something we cannot afford to do at this time.

Anyone that would be a clear upgrade, would cost more than Morgan is going to cost. This is assuming we get lucky and convince the big name FA to come here in the first place. A FA that we would have to overpay in order to get them here. If we miss out in the FA, then we are relying on a draft pick to play better. We all know, thats a crap shoot.

Worilds seems to be the target people want to go after.

Sacks. Worilds 7.5 to Morgans 6.5

Tackles. Worilds 59 to Morgans 63

Passes deflected. Worilds 2 to Morgans 7

Int. Worilds 1 to Morgans 0

Tackles for loss. Worilds 5 to Morgans 7

I get it. Morgan is not a superstar, but he is severely undervalued by our fans. Worilds will get 7 million a year, easy, on the open market. Morgan will get close to that.

By signing him again, we also have one less hole to fill. Do we really want to try to find 2 new LB's to go along with all of the other upgrades we need?

Give him a 4 year deal, front loaded. So that he can be cut after 2 years without killing our cap. IF we cannot find a abetter answer by then.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Bingo. People love to trash Morgan, but obviously theyre not aware of where he stacks up. Morgan is good, with another OLB on the opposite side Morgan will shine.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I get all that. I just don't think it's a smart move to overpay a guy just because "we already have so many holes to fill". If we're being honest this team is likely at least a year or 2 away from seriously competing anyway. So I'd rather build it up the right way.

Great teams don't get that way by making a habit of overpaying unspectacular players. I highly doubt Morgan commands anything in the neighborhood of 7-8 million on the open market. I say let him test the market and then offer to match. If he chooses to go elsewhere then so be it. Not giving a hometown discount is one thing. But having to OVERPAY to keep your hometown players is just absurd. If he wants out that bad then I say let him walk. Not that I can blame him at this point.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

7 million is my stopping point. I believe overpaying will be more than 7 million, so we dont completely disagree (8 million would be too much, and "overpaying")

I believe that will be market value. Morgan spent some of his time in coverage this season, which means he is rushing the passer even less than he was as a DE, and still matched his sack total. First year playing LB as well. He also graded out well in pass coverage (top 10 if I remember correctly. My memory is crap though, so take it for what it is)

5. JCBRAVE

Morgan on any other team is better, its a mistake letting him walk. We need to get the guy some help out there.

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

We need him. He makes other players better.

7. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I wouldn't define 7-8mil as decent. So, I agree they shouldn't pay him that much.

8. JCBRAVE

Lets look at what $7M-8M/yr gets you at OLB these days

Browns OLB Paul Kruger $8M/yr 11 sacks
    49ers OLB Ahmad Brooks $6.7/yr 6 sacks
    Eagles OLB Connor Barwin $6M/yr 14.5 sacks
    Colts OLB Robert Mathis $5.4M/yr 19 sacks (2013)
    Ravens OLB Elvis Dumervil $5.2M/yr 17 sacks

So yes, clearly that type of money should draw in a double digit sack artist (which Morgan is not), but you may also notice all those names come from better defenses than ours.

I really do believe if you compliment Morgan on the other side with a capable player he's twice as good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

How many OLB's make $5-8 mil and don't get 10+ sacks/yr?

10. JCBRAVE

Ahmad Brooks is the only one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar