More proof the SEC is faster and better

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanJeff, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Does the historical aspect really matter? I dont think anyone is arguing that the Big 10 hasnt been a great conference from a historical perspective, and certainly better than the SEC at several points throughout the history of the 2 conferences. But in present day, the Big 10 is not as good as the SEC. Great, Michigan beat Florida last year in a second tier Bowl game. Florida was also only 5-3 in the SEC, so its not as if they ran through the SEC last year either. Realistically, that was the Big 10s second best team, against the SECs 5th best team. The big 10s other top 2 teams were both embarrassed in their bowl games, for the second consecutive year. How you can watch the Big 10s top tier teams get ran off the field in the past 2 bowl seasons, and still argue that it is a good conference is beyond me. IF not for the historical greatness of OSU, Michigan, and Penn state, nobody would give 2 craps about that conference and even think to consider it on the same level as the SEC, Pac 10, or Big 12. Its closer to the ACC than the SEC. A few pretty good teams, but mostly mediocre.

2. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Ewww he can't spin that one. Tennessee smacked them around. Michigan plays well against the SEC as long as it is not Tennessee. Maybe they should give some pointers to OSU.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Urban Meyer almost killed himself after that game. But I'm sure they just didn't care. It's not like they have any pride.

And Tennessee did kill Michigan. Almost as embarrassing as losing to Appalachian State. haha

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Not sure why people are arguing. I can't believe that people don't think the SEC is overrated. It's impossible. Whether you like them or not, whether you think they're the best or not...you can't possibly think they aren't overrated every season.[/QUOTE]
    Of course the SEC might have an off year when the Big 10 takes it to them. On a year in, year out basis, SEC is the best conference top to bottom.

The SEC is 11-4 in BCS games.
    The SEC is also the winningest team in bowl games since 1998 (LINK
    You can root for your Big 10 all you want, I'll stick with the SEC

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's called "De Nile".

[​IMG]

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

How so? They're overrated. It's not even debatable. Again, though most of you can't tell the difference - I'm not saying they aren't the current best.

just overrated. Lebron James is good, but he's the most overrated athlete ever. Best young player? Yeah. Overrated? Yep.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

How is Labron James any more overrated than Kobe? Both looked very overrated this year when they played in their most important games. The talk of Kobe in the same breath as Jordan got shot down quickly.

However, the SEC backs it up the hype by winning most of their bowl games and the National Championship. They are the best and are far less overrated than Ohio State has been the last two seasons.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

It's not Kobe and it's not Lebron. The most overrated NBA player is Vince Carter.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Generally, when you say that something isn't even debatable when a whole bunch of people are debating it with you, you lose some credibility.

I'd say the only thing not debatable here is that the SEC is the best conference in college football of the last ten years. "Overrated" is a much more ambiguous term. No one is saying that the SEC is ten times better than anything else, or making generally ridiculous claims, I think the main argument is that SEC fans feel like they rarely get national recognition that their conference is the best, and are annoyed because they feel that it's clear enough that it should be acknowledged. Do you disagree with that, gloat?

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Certainly in the past 2-3 years the SEC has gotten more recognition. It's just a few years ago when the main media was all about USC, Oklahoma, etc. Now that the SEC has become more spread through the country were finally getting some recognition. Why people think Oklahoma had any chance against USC in 04' is beyond my idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar