More bad defensive numbers!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Since the 4th quarter of the Steelers game, I decided to look at the drives/possessions against our D. Here are the results.

15 posessions have end with...

4 TD passes
    4 FG's

Meaning teams have scored points more than half the time and half the time they score it's TD's.

On the plus side...

6 have ended in punts
    1 has ended in a fumble

What is disturbing besides the % of scoring drives are the # of plays.

Length of those drives is...

14 plays (TD)
    14 plays (FG)
    12 plays (TD)
    10 plays (FG)
    9 plays (FG)
    9 plays (FG)
    8 plays (punt)
    6 plays (punt)
    4 plays (fumble)
    4 plays (punt)
    4 plays (punt)
    4 plays (punt)
    4 plays (punt)
    2 plays (TD)
    1 play (TD)

7 of these drives are for 8-14 plays...that's almost every other drive. And people are wondering why we aren't winning time of possession and keeping our D rested. Our D is having major difficulty not giving up points and not getting off the field.

We need to get more aggressive on D...and NOT against the run.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm trying to find a silver lining in all this so pardon my optimism but I think secondary communication problems in the Texans game led to 178 yards and 14 points for the Texans.

You have the 72 yd TD to Johnson, 44 yd pass to Jones, 29 yd TD to Jones and the 33 yd pass to Daniels. All of these plays appeared to me that there was some assignment brain farts. It's going to happen sometimes but not four times in the same game for this secondary.

178 yards represents almost 50% of Schaub's pass yards. Remove 14 points and the Titans blow out the Texans.

Point being that if the secondary assignment issues get fixed, much of the Titans defensive issues get fixed. Let's hope it happens sooner rather than later.

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Stats dont mean anything if we know we can do better. Right now it's not about stats it's about effort from all the players.

They go play like pro bowlers that a bunch of them are, then the stats will take care of it's self.

4. tnyou

tnyou Guest

Stats......stats.........................................stats?

lol

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

NFL should pay these guys on set scoring scheme like you'd set up in Fantasy Football but use $ in place of points.

1 sack = $50,000 or something like that. that would make these suckas play ball.

6. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

1 turnover right? that's pathetic.

7. rastamon

rastamon Camp Fodder

lol i was scrolling down the list: "oooh 2 plays, one play... oh td:("

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar