Mooney earns promotion on, off field

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans fullback Collin Mooney received a big honor this week – the Army informed him he’s being promoted from First Lieutenant to Captain.

Mooney, a West Point graduate who spent three years fulfilling his commitment to the U.S. Army before joining the NFL, is currently serving in the U.S. Army Reserves.

“I really didn’t think it was going to happen,’’ said Mooney, who will serve as the Honorary 12th Titan for Sunday’s game against the Jaguars as part of the team’s “Salute to Service.” As part of the festivities on Sunday, Mooney plans to run through the tunnel with an American flag prior to the start of the game.

“But I really want to make sure it’s the armed services that’s the 12th Titan, and it’s not just me. I am representing on their behalf,’’ Mooney said. “And I am proud of that. It’’s special.”

Mooney has also received a promotion of sorts for his play on the field.

The second-year player earned his most extensive playing time of the season against the Rams, when the Titans took off in the running game. Mooney played 28 of the team’s 62 snaps against the Rams as running back Chris Johnson ran for 150 yards and two touchdowns, and the Titans ran for 198 yards as a team. Mooney, who has started four games, even had a 22-yard catch in the game.

In the Week 7 game against the 49ers, Mooney played just three snaps. Offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains and Coach Mike Munchak both said Mooney has played well all season, although his snaps moving forward will hinge on the opponent, and type of game.

“I don’t think he’s ever been the problem,’’ Munchak said of Mooney. “We’ve had games where he only gets eight plays, six plays, but last week he got quite a few plays. He’s done a solid job for us, and he’s gotten better on special teams, too. He’s been a very good contributor.”

According to Pro Football Focus, only 19 teams have used a fullback over 100 snaps this year, and the group includes the Titans. Mooney is the second-highest run block rating of all fullbacks this year. He was named to PFF’s All-Division team.

Running back Chris Johnson feels like he has a good chemistry with Mooney, who said his job is simple: make the running backs look good.

“I mainly try and hit my guy and push him out of the way so C.J. can do his thing,’’ Mooney said. “I just try and do my job the best I can, and let the running backs shine.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

congrats to Mooney! Well deserved and thank you for your service!

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Glad to see Mooney is doing his thing, this was a guy I think we all hoped would turn into something, but up until last week really hadn't gotten the chance. Go Mooney!

4. Barnybyrd

Barnybyrd Starter

Congrats and thanks for your service to country and team.

5. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Thanks for your service to country and team Mooney:thumbsup:

6. Na$hville

Na$hville Veteran

Wow that's big. Really like this guy

7. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Super glad this cat got the starting FB job. I think everyone here wanted him as the Fb from the get go. He's done a superb job as well.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Mooney being on the PS while QJ got payed was a travesity of justice. Not that Mooney is awsome its just QJ was so pretty real turrible

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

lol ARMY, what a panzy

10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

totally

hey I will ice down the beer while you guys go engage the enemy. Dibbs on your stereo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar