Monday Morning QB: Texans at Titans Grades

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

"it seems the D are playing much better"

Really? We gave up 50 yards more than we have been giving up per game. They ran for 148 yards against us with a 5.7 average and it would have been a lot more but they were playing from behind in the final 20 minutes of the game. Our run defense is simply not acceptable!

This wasn't the colts or bengals we were playing it was the houston texans. Coming into the game the mighty texans(21st in total offense) were gaining an average of 280 yards a game. They got 50% more than that against us.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Didnt the Texans have the ball for almost 40 minutes?

Take away the Defensive TD and Pacmans touchdown and the offense has the ball for longer and thus the Texans offensive yards is significantly shorter.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If only the real world worked like that, but it doesn't.

Look at the Ravens-Saints game. Raven's caused 5 turnovers, 2 of them for TD's, yet still held the ball for 13 minutes more than the Saints. Even though Brees passed for almost 400 yards, limiting the runningbacks to 35 yards obviously made a huge difference in TOP.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Comparing the Ravens defense to our defense to ours is a little silly.

My point was that TOP = more yards (especially on our defense). That is why the Texans had more yards then what we were averaging.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Interesting..

Without the 5 turnovers the texans could have had the ball longer for more plays, more points and more yards. Certainly more points. The turnovers stopped some nice drives.

First turnover a carr int...2nd and 6 at the titan's 28. The texans had driven 35 yards from their own 37.

Carr fumble #1..3rd and 3 at the titan 46. After a penalty the texans started at their own 15 and drove 39 yards to the titan 46.

Carr fumble #2 came after a drive in which the texans went from their own 28 to the titans 26 the texans had driven 46 yards.. That was a 3rd and 5 play.

Remember thwere was another drive where 2 salaam penalties cost them a chance for a TD and they had to settle for 3.

If i'm a texan fan i'm angry at the coaches for not running the ball on 2nd and 4. They also should have run the ball on 3rd and 3.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We can stop them...

Just because we scored a non offensive TD and had to give the ball back to the texan's offense doesn't mean we can't stop them. The fact we let them march right down the field only proves how bad we were.

The texans had 10 full possessions of the ball(I'm not including the final play). That's typical. It isn't like the texans had more possessions than normal.

In those 10 possessions we stopped them on downs with no points 3 times. They scored 4 times three of them TDs and they had three nice drives end in turnovers as i illustrated in my last post. 70% of the time they moved the ball on us. They had 427 yards 11 came on the last play. That leaves 416 yards on 10 possessions an average of 41 yards gained with each drive. That's not good defense!

The texans gained 5.6 yards per play. That is not good defense!

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

No one ever said we were a good defense.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

And comparing the Texans offence to the Saints offence would be a little silly too.

That's really a chicken and the egg discussion. Do you get more yards because you're getting a lot TOP or do you get more TOP because you're getting a lot of yards? In my opinion you only have good TOP by being able to consistently move the football on your opponent, which is exactly what the Texans did. They didn't have 20 3 and out drives, they had 11 drives of 7 plays and 38 yards on average.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

man 5+ yards per play is terrible.

I wonder what Baltimore averages.

10. Brian

Brian Big Fan

The offense and defense were both poor., but we finally got the "big plays" that Fisher has been talking about. That's what won the game.

FYI - Total Plays: 79 to 43

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar