Monday Morning QB: First Half Grades

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: During the 37-7 thumping by the Jaguars yesterday, a few things became obvious to me.

1. Vince isn't close. He is slow making reads. He stares down receivers. He's horribly inaccurate for stretches during the game. Though we should expect a few performances like this as Young matures, I don't buy that such games won't shake his confidence if things don't get better soon. And with the tough Ravens D coming to town next week, I don't things get better anytime soon.

2. The Titans run defense is as bad as any I've ever witnessed. Ever. With the score 34-0, the Jaguars were not disguising anything offensively. Yet the Titans still gave up 79 more rushing yards for a 6.1 yards per carry average. If some of you thought rookie Stephen Tulloch would be an upgrade, guess what?

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001828.shtml

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

Overall, I think there are some good points. I have to respectfully disagree with you about Fisher being fired if he doesn't win at least 4. I think the fact that the team has been in 5 of the 8 games speaks volumes considering that the current talent level is well below normal NFL talent.

Vince Young is not ready, I agree. Could this impact his confidence?...Perhaps. Here is the thing that you have to look at it. Vince is struggling because he is a rookie QB in the NFL (the hardest position to learn in the NFL) and he was considered a project (not NFL ready) to begin with. Do you really think that you will see improvement next year if Fisher and Chow leave? He will be as far if not further away if that happens. They absolutely have to stay regardless of whether they win another game or not. Vince will improve as the year goes on, but if you change the offense after the season, he is back to square one. He is too early in his career to adapt to that kind of change. Like it or not, we must stay the course and invest next years 41 million wisely....haven't said that...if the next 8 games are like the one this week....nobody should survive....even Bud should give up ownership.

Other random thoughts: David Givens...bust. We must draft Calvin Johnson...I think he is the answer to our WR solution. I still think Brandon Jones is going to be a good one. Chris Hope, Kevin Mawae, and David Thornton have been excellent acquisitions. 3 out of 4 is not bad.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

One thing to think about is if you don't have confidence Fisher is the one to return the team to the playoffs, this is really the best time to make the move. A new head coach means new coordinators and two years before the team is comfortable with the schemes.

So if Bud extends Fisher into '07 and then fires him after next season, then you have '09 until this team is ready.

Same goes for Reese. The Titans will go into '07 with a ton of cap room. If you are going to make a GM move, that would be the time to make it, IMO.

4. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

In my opinion, i just think we need to completely clean house.

5. Code

Code Starter

Typical fan post. 'Givens a bust'. Or ... maybe he had a hammy that was slow to heal ... got healed and then tore ligaments in his thumb ... might it be that we have nowhere near enough information on Givens yet to make a call.

As for VY ... he wasn't near it yet. But that was a tough matchup zone that really ate him up. I'm not ready to go where you went yet Jeff ... but no doubt this last week gave pause for concern.

Run defense. Absolutely awful. Hard to know where to start other than to say that AH is exactly like AJ ... can't live with 'em ... can't live without 'em. Al being out just makes us all soft and gooey inside.

Secondary. I think Hill is much maligned for no reason. And if AJ can keep out of the bars, train his spit to fly in the direction of empty pavement, show up in time for meetings, and just generally act as if he was 25, not 15, we've got two good young corners. We've also got a heckuva good safety in Hope, and some potential sitting on the bench in Lowry, Fuller, and Finnergan. Personally, I don't get the LT fetish ... I'd have the three young 'uns on the field trying to figure out what we have got.

And speaking of that. Time to put Lendale in the starting lineup. I question whether he is anything more than a plugger. But only way to find it out is put him out there and let him rip. Same with Tulloch. I agree with TJ on his Sunday performance ... but again, better to learn now than later what he has and doesn't have.

Plenty of issues to resolve. Troupe ... talent or bust? We need to know.
    Stewart and Roos? Bookends or deadends? We will see. Jones, Roby, Williams? Do any of them have any more than #3 wide out written on their card? Play em and find out.

And of course, Fish, Schwartzy, Chow and the gang ... can they or can't they. 8 games left to tell the tale. Plenty of things of interest to watch.
    Patience is the only requirement.

6. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

I am giving Givens a Bust because the doctors cleared him to play 2 weeks ago, yet he is not willing to go out there...Thus, he is inactive. This is football, and if you aren't willing to put it on the line with your teammates, I consider you a bust. If that makes me a typical fan, that so be it, but 8 catches for 104 yds is on pace for 16 catches and 208 yards. I don't believe any receiver deserves 325k per catch or 25k per yard. I have to go with busts until proven otherwise. jmo.

7. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

I've been saying it all along...CALVIN JOHNSON to the TITANS or maybe dwayne jarrett but naah CALVIN JOHNSON!

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

You assume he will be on the board when we pick.

9. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

no not really i actually thing the 49ers would grab him, we would have to trade up in all honesty becausse there are other teams obviously, who need a guy like him

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

49ers have a better record then us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar