MMQB Titans Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titantrusince82, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

It's always about money. Why would teams run up scores? One reason - FANTASY FOOTBALL! They even have shows on Sunday helping you pick who to start. This is why you see meaningless scores and passing in blowout games. Run up the stats!

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And, as @Alzarius said, it's not entertaining football.

So, someone tell me, why would an owner back a man who she knows will be playing a style of football which bores many fans even if it wins?

By "smashmouth", I want it be by the toughness of the players and not the scheme itself.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Which gets Titans fans more excited.....a ho hum 20 yard completion or a smashing 20 yard run by Henry? There are many reasons for this style of play. For one, every time you pass, you are putting your "franchise QB" at risk. Two, he's still a rookie of sorts, and hasn't learned all the things he needs to know. Three, while he has shown signs of competence, he hasn't played a full season, so DC's around the league aren't "on to him yet" but they will be. Running the ball covers up a lot of problems, and as I have said before, the attrition from it not only slows the pass rush, but it takes its toll on DB's and safeties that have to come up and make tackles. There is a method to the madness. With what we have now, Murray, Fowler, Henry - et al, we can throw short swing passes and accomplish the same thing as a run without putting Mariota at risk until we get an O line that will show they can protect him. It's actually a solid plan.

4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

This is what I think we are getting. Toughness, not Fisherball.

If Im wrong, Ill turn on Mularley pretty fast.

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I just want to win man. Dont care how. I just wanna win.

My country Portugal won the Euro cup (soccer). Every non Portuguese fan has talked so much trash to me about our style of play.

Let me tell u first hand the win doesn't feel any worse. I've been on cloud 9 ever since

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I hope you're right. We'll see soon enough.

I saw a lot of two TE, mass protect formations last season. Pretty conservative even when Mariota was on the sidelines until down by 14 few other options. But, he was dealing with an offense already installed and not his own.

Here's an article about his approach when with the Falcons as OC in 2008:
    Mularkey has given Falcons extreme makeover on offense - NFL.com

The offense is a personnel-based scheme, where Mularkey and his staff tailor plays and play calls to the abilities of the talent. It's a system Mularkey devised as Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator in 2001 with fellow offensive assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, currently the assistant head coach and head coach, respectively, with the Arizona Cardinals, who, like the Falcons, boast a 6-3 record.

"It started with us meeting and evaluating our personnel, and in reality, this system started with Kordell and worked its way down from there," Mularkey said. "We saw what we had offensively, player-wise, and said, 'Let's fit what we have here. Tinker some things -- don't even install things -- that we know our left tackle can't do. Even though it looks good or another team is successful with it, let's not put any player in a position where he is uncertain if he can do it.'

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. titantrusince82

titantrusince82 I'm down with the Titans for better or worse

Bottom line: I just want to feel good on Sunday afternoons and be able to brag at work on Mondays.

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Feels like eternity since then

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It was like nine years ago. There are third graders in Nashville who only know the Titans as losers.

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Agreed.

Its sad when you wait all week, then stop giving a damn before halftime.

My boss hates the Titans so Ive been hearing it for too long.

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar