MMQB Titans Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titantrusince82, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

I do not think Mularkey's philosophy is the same as Whiz. I think his Mentality is the same. I think this for good reason. Whiz said repeatedly; "My system works. I am not going to change my system." Mularkey has said repeatedly; "I have had success with my scheme & philosophy for 20+yrs. I have not changed my scheme/philosophy for 20+yrs & I am not going to now." He has not, and is not going to accept his part in the failures he was a part of in Jacksonville & Buffalo.

I know Mularkey is not running the same type of offense as Whiz. Far from it. Mularkey is going to run the ball far more than Whiz ever would. I think everyone knows they are different in that aspect. However, when you look at their attitude; they are very similar. That is why they have been friends for 20+yrs as Mularkey has stated several times.

I agree this team NEEDS to run the ball much more effectively than we did with Whiz. I also agree with having more of a lead back approach. However, I hope that lead back is the player who has the best game. If Henry is having a great game keep feeding him. If Murray is tearing it up keep giving him the ball. Whiz would often pull a guy after a great run. If the guy needs a breather I get it.

2. kenny

kenny Starter

I agree with you about JRob. I hope he can convince AAS to rethink her failure to conduct a real HC search. However, she must have been in love with Mularkey. She never for a minute considered anyone else. And it's not like JRob had a real say in who this HC was. Everyone knows that getting this GM job was dependent on accepting Mularkey as HC.

That being said; I believe the right man was hired for the GM position. He has done some things since coming in that I did not expect to happen this year. I still wish we would've addressed CB better. However, you cannot fix everything in one off season. I just REALLY hope that AAS allows JRob to be a real GM & hire the next HC of this team. I have faith in him to do that.

3. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

That's the thing, Mularkey hasn't had a QB while HC. If JR builds a good enough roster, it's really the players' job to make the play. Hoping for the best, maybe Mularkey actually uses players in the right situations to maximize their performance.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Ive already posted a link to what Mularkey said. Do you mind posting a link to where he said "i havent changed my scheme in 20 years" because I couldnt find it.

5. kenny

kenny Starter

It's right there in the article at the beginning of this post, but I have seen it in others as well. I will see if I can find the others I have seen it in. It has been a little while since I last read them. One was a video interview.

“I didn't get it wrong the first two times, in my opinion,” Mularkey says. “Remember, I resigned in Buffalo, for a variety of personal reasons. So I haven’t changed my coaching style one bit. My philosophy and message has been consistent for 20-something years:"

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We used to call it "Fisherball". Even when it worked, fans complained about winning games 13-10.

My fear is this defense isn't close to being good enough to hold teams under 24 and we'll see the usual abandoning of the run-first offense by halftime because the Titans are down by 14.

The Titans scored more than 24 points only three times last season while giving up an average of 26.5 per game.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

That's my thing...I'd actually love to see us get a lead, and frigging hold it for once.....

8. kenny

kenny Starter

That's exactly what I am talking about; it USED to work. It worked for a few reason IMO.

Now the NFL has changed. Coaches used to all play the game in a similar manner. No one looked to run the score up. Now nearly all HCs try to get a point across. They want to score as many points as possible. We are seeing more blow out wins than I can ever remember. It is rare these days to see those low scoring teams win like they used to.

It's why the pay scale has changed so much in the NFL. RBs used to be among the highest paid players on the field. Now QBs, Pass Rushers, WRs, & DBs are getting record deals. Teams are not looking to grind it out like they used to. Teams are looking to put up TDs quickly and stay as far ahead as possible.

9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I liked winning, but didnt like Fisherball.

Too many times I remember playing down to the level of the competition. It didnt matter if you were the best team in the league, or the worst, you had a chance to beat us because we would play close every game.

All Fisher had to do was push his foot on the gas every now and then and the fans wouldnt have turned on him imo

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

I want to see how he operates under pressure. Can he make really good decisions? You know, when an entire organization is a revolving door, it's hard to get that cohesiveness required to win, from the coaches on down. We have a lot of talent this year, but as some have realistically pointed out, it may take a few years to find ourselves and what our identity is, and what we are capable of. An example would be a veteran O line doesn't get rattled when a team blitzes - they call assignments or key words and turn a blitz into an asset for Mariota. This takes chemistry and time together. If Conklin can be another Runyan we are looking better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar