MLB Postseason Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Eddyc85, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

This is how I can tell you haven't watched baseball that long, or if you have you don't pay attention. It's not a simple game at all, it's actually quite complex. But I'll indulge you although I doubt you'll want to accept this since you seem pretty set in your ways.

Tampa is a team who does everything well but nothing great. They got some nice players sprinkled around the roster, enough to get them into the playoffs and in this case enough to get them to the best record in the ML. But when you're playing the best of the best you need to have special players and I look at Tampa's roster I don't see a whole lot of special players if any. Other than Price who on their roster would bring in huge money as a free agent? Maybe Longoria except he's a bit of a playoff choker so who knows.

Uhh pretty much everything. Clearly you don't watch close enough. Guys like Wade Davis and James Shields may be able to get 10 or so wins in the regular season but in a big time game those guys don't scare anyone. lol "Big Game" James Shields, what a totally undeserved nickname.

Yea and they were totally outmatched by Philadelphia too.

I don't have to concede anything because that's not the logic I'm using, you just assume it is. NY had won multiple world series' prior to the years your talking. There's nothing fraudulent about that.

I've explained this enough but to sum up: being consistently hyped throughout the season and being unable to win a home game in the playoffs and or making it out of the first round, having average players being trumpeted as big time players etc...

I know more about baseball than probably anyone you know. I got the MLB package, I watch every team at least once and watch the good teams all the time. I saw Tampa's underwhelming playoff performance coming from a mile away.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Anytime I am having a discussion with someone, and they have to tell me how smart they are, instead of displaying how smart they, usually means they don't have much to really say. I have the MLB package too. I didn't realize spending money on something automatically made me an expert, but good to know that since I buy the MLB package that I am automatically an MLB expert. Sweet!

Secondly, you are completely being a hypocrite. A team who is 2-2 in their last 4 postseason series has shown recent success. Sure, they might have been outmatched by the Phillies, but ya know what, every team in baseball, including your Yankees, are probably going to end up being outmatched by the Phillies this season. FRAUDS! (your logic, not mine).

Secondly, you cannot compare the late 90s Yankees teams to the 2000s teams. THe late 90s teams had lunchpale/blue collar type players like Paul ONeil, Scott Brosius, Tino Martinez, Bernie Williams, etc etc. The only hold overs from the teams that won 4 straight WS to the 2000s teams that sucked in the playoffs was Torre, Jeter, Pettite, and Rivera. The Yankees completely changed their formula from those teams when they started buying up every top tier free agent, and subsequently failed time after time in the playoffs, including the biggest post season collapse ever. So before last season, I guess the Yankees were the biggest frauds of the 2000s, by your logic of course.

And a lot of "nice" teams win the WS. The Florida Marlins weren't a great team the year they won it all. They got out of the NL because the Cubs simply collapsed. Arizona wasnt a great team, they had 2 top tier pitchers that carried them through the postseason, but with the exception Luis Gonzalez being loaded up on steroids, their offense was nothing special. The fact of the matter is, is that a team that wins 90+ games in the regular season is a good team, and their is nothing fraudulent about them. Plus, what kind of word is fraud? That makes it sound like they cheated their way to 90 plus wins or something, can't you come up with a word that actually acurately describes what you are talking about? That is a ridiculous word to use. The Black Sox scandal was fraudulent, the steroid era was fraudulent. Winning 90+ plus games and getting beat in 3-2 in a post season series isn't fraudulent.

Plus, it is obvious your disdain for the Rays comes simply from the fact they are in the Yankees division. I know it is a bad idea to get into a discussion with a "super fan" of any team. Logic seems to always go out the window.
    If Texas beats NY are the Yankees frauds too? Just because the Rays played them first wouldn't mean they both didnt get knocked out by the same team.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

You're so so wrong on everything you said. Allow me to straighten you up.

But do you watch every team and watch games every night? Or do you use it to follow the Braves or whatever loser team you probably root for?

No that's not my logic, that's not even close. And last time I checked NY beat the Phillies in the world series, the same Phillies team the Rays were outmatched by. I love it, you're talking trash on something that hasn't even happened yet and not only that, the exact opposite happened last year. If not for Cliff Lee, hell we might have swept Philly, they were outmatched by us. Being frauds has nothing to do with just simply losing in the playoffs, it has to do with hype, the players on your team and how you perform in the post season. The Rays had a lot of hype, overrated players and flopped in the playoffs, please PLEASE dispute any of those facts.

Wrong. Posada was on those teams and obviously on the team today and Williams was a Yankee until 2006. Honestly the problem with the mid 2000 teams had a lot to do with big name player underperforming in the playoffs (A Rod, Giambi) plus Pettitte going to Houston didn't help.

Well first off the Marlins had some great players on the teams that won the world series so it's not like they were a fluke. Pudge, Lee, Lowell, Cabrera, Willis, Penny, Pavano and Beckett. That was a great rotation. As for Arizona, you put 2 of the best pitchers ever in their prime on the same team, your indeed for real.

Of course I hate the Rays but I'd say they were frauds even if they weren't in my division. I called the Rockies frauds once they made the world series and Boston just crushed them. And no losing to Texas doesn't make you frauds. It's about hype, players, and playoff performance. ESPN hyped them up as legit world series contenders, their players are good but not great and when you look at their roster you gotta be a little surprised they had the best record in baseball, and playoff performance, well 0 home wins and bumped in the first round. If their not frauds, what's legit about them? I mean how many runs did Texas score in the last game because Tampa wasn't even paying attention? That's amateur hour, that's how you score runs against the Pirates.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I live in Nashville, the Braves are shown locally here. So for one, no, I dont spend money to watch something I can watch on basic cable, and two, I am not a Braves fan, Im a Cubs fan, who also I can watch here regularly without the baseball package. The fact you think you are the only one who watches baseball is hilarious. Do you think these cable and satelite companies offer these packages because no one buys them? That is the most asinine point I have ever heard anyone try to make.

THen explain your logic. Your ability to clarify your point is apparently on a 3rd grade level, because I still have no clue of your logic, other than you dont like the Rays. A team that is 2-2 in the postseason over the last 3 years is a fraud, but a team who sucked in the postseason for almost a decade, including the biggest post season collapse in history wasnt a fraud. That is ludicrous logic.

That Marlins team had a lot of good players I didnt deny that. That Marlins team was very similar to the Rays. A franchise that drafted and developed well, had good young players, that they couldnt afford to keep when contracts were up.

How is a team that makes the world series a fraud? For knowing more about baseball than anyone I know (which, this offseason I will let my friend who is a world series champion, and could win another this year, that Eddyc on the internet knows more about baseball than him), you sure do seem to think the league sucks.

Again, it is baseball, not the NBA or Hockey. Getting bounced in the first round means they got bounced by one of the 4 or 5 best teams in the AL, not the 8 team or whatever. You cannot make the playoffs being a fraud, you just cant. And if you can, then you must think the league just sucks.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Look if you don't get it by now you're not going to. Clearly you're not reading or fully understanding what I've been saying because you just ignore it and make up your own arguments of things you think I'm saying but really am not. I'm going to do this one more time and if you come back with some nonsense post like the last one again I'm done with you.

It's things like this that show me you're clueless as to what I'm talking about. So lets try AGAIN to explain this.

Hype: The Rays were hyped up as legit world series contenders. Oh they won the AL East, oh they had the best record in baseball etc... Lots of people picked them to win the world series. A lot of hype. You following so far? Now, how did they do in the playoffs? Forget the regular season, if you watched JUST that series would you think "Man, this Rays team is really quite good." I would hope not. They could barely score at home and how anyone lets Vladimir Guerrero score from 2nd on an infield hit is beyond me. Did they really look like a world series contender? Sure they took 2 in Texas but OVERALL they looked pretty underwhelming no?

Players: See there's a difference between the Marlins and Rays. The Marlins as always blew up their team and a lot of those players went on to be great players. Now that's not to say the Rays don't have great players but do you see a difference between a rotation of Beckett, Pavano, Burnett (I know he was hurt but he was there for awhile), Willis, Penny and then Price, Garza, Davis, and Shields? I like Price but he's still really young, Garza is a solid #3 starter but James Shields is a below average pitcher and Davis is just slightly above average. But what about the offense? Well they seem to get no hit a lot and in the playoffs in the first 2 games they had what 1 run? Pathetic. Anyone can see that their offense was a huge weakness and it showed in the playoffs.

Post Season Performance: Again where was the offense? For the most part it wasn't there. Yea I know Cliff Lee is great but last year NY scored 5 runs off of him in 7 innings so it is possible to score off him in the playoffs, it's been done. Lets look at last night, NY comes back down 5 late in the game, Tampa can't pay attention to home plate and let like 3 runs score in that last game that were very preventable.

How can you really disagree with any of that? It's all facts.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I didnt disagree with a single fact. I am disagreeing with the idea that a team that lead the AL in wins is a "fraud". That is what I am disagreeing with. But whatever, you do know more baseball than anyone I know, I mean you told me so, so it must be true.

Burnett was hurt in '03 as you said, so you cant count him when comparing the Marlins to the Rays for one. Plus, prior to that year, he had a career record of 30-30 with an ERA over 4. I dont see a huge difference in him or Penny compared to Shields. None of those guys are great pitchers. James Shields is pretty similar #s wise to Penny and Pavano. That Marlins team was a good team obviously, but certainly not great, much like the Rays. But regardless, you are obviously one of the worlds leading baseball experts (after all, you did buy the package), and this discussion has become pointless, so if you think the Rays are frauds, more power to ya.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Attacking me and not the point shows that you have no argument. James Shields has an ERA over 5 and serves up home runs like McDonalds serves up fries. More proof you REALLY don't know what you're talking about.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Well Lincecum outduels Halladay. I said if that happens the Giants have a chance, I'm thinking the Giants have a good chance. They stole 1 in Philly off the best pitcher in baseball and got homefield advantage now, can't ask for anything more. Giants/Rangers world series, that would be crazy.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The Yankees are just built for the first round of the postseason.

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Which explains last year.

Fail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar