MLB Baseball 09 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

yeah, if we can sign him...

btw, If Strasburg was placed on the 40 man roster right this instant. I would rank our starters like this

1. Martis
    2. Lannan
    3. Zimmermann
    4. Strasburg
    5. Olsen
    6. Cabrera

Strasburg is going to need time in the minors like any other professional to get used to pro ball, but I think he'll be something special before the end of the 09 season.

since when is pitching a gem not a good thing?

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

He did throw over 20 innings in spring training, which is where his mechanics should have been corrected. There is more to it than just mechanics, and I would say that he is still hurt to some degree. I am not saying mechanics arent a part of it, but after throwing 20 innings in spring training and doing countless other drills, there is no reason his mechanics should be so bad that his ERA is over 30. I do think he improves over the year, but it is certainly going to be interesting.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

20 innings is nothing when you haven't pitched in about 8 months. Besides those 20 innings were in meaningless games.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Why does it matter if the game is meaningless or not? He is just coming out of spring training, this is when guys mechanics should be at their best, since they have been working on them over the past month and a half. If you are saying that his mechanics are worse because games matter now, than I would say there is something going on in his head. If your mechanics are altered drastically because more people are watching and you are facing better hitters, then that is a mental issue. But I personallly dont think that is the case. I think it is obvious he is still hurt which is screwing his mechanics up, and they need to get it figured out. He simply isnt a major league pitcher right now and they might need to simplyl shut him down a while. This goes right up there with Rick Ankiel as possibly the worst stretch of pitching ever, though I think its for different reasons.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

You still don't get it. The hitters he faced in spring training could care less if they hit off him, the hitters are just trying to get their swing in order and Wang is trying to knock off 9 months of rust as well as get the mechanics in order. It just takes a long time to get used to pitching at that high a level when you miss so much time, it's even tougher if your a sinker ball pitcher.

6. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

He gives up almost 4 ER an inning. I would agree with you if his ERA was around 7 or 8, because sure, it can take some time to get back in the groove. At this point, he has no business being a major league pitcher, and IMO it is because he is injured and there is something wrong with him. I have never seen someone having issues with his mechanics have his ERA inflate from the mid 3s-low 4s, all the way up to 34. And I realize you think I dont get it, but I promise you cant find someone in any type of recent history (if ever), who is struggling in the manner Wang is struggling. SO while I might not "get it", you are making a common excuse for another wise unprecedented disaster. There are plenty of guys who get injured and miss significant time who come back and struggle a bit. But Wang is beyond struggling, he simply isnt even a double A pitcher at this point, much less a major league pitcher. He is hurt, I promise you, and the Yankees are skipping his turn in the rotation this time around, and I would imagine they realize that his issue isnt simply mechanical.

7. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

Pitching a "gem" is always a good thing. What is not a good thing (statistically speaking) is the time in his career when he is putting up these numbers. If he follows the norm then his numbers will quickly drop and dwindle. I was just saying that I hope that does not happen.

The thing I love most about baseball is that occasional walk off homer from the leadoff man. The fact that even though the sport has become broken down into a myriad of numbers there is always that one who breaks the trends.

Out of curiosity did any of you catch the brewers first baseman (at least I think it was their first baseman) take the pitch to the face. I'm sorry I missed it the first time around... but man was that a dandy.

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

If he were injured then why wouldn't we send him to AAA? Why would we keep sending him out there if he was hurt and we COULD send him to AAA?

9. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Pitching gems have nothing to do with it. It's all about pitch counts and innings. They'd be smart to shut him down around the beginning of August, because he's never pitched more than 134 innings in a season.

What ruins these guys is teams will allow them to go from 100-120 innings straight to 180-200 innings. Their arms can't handle it. Cole Hamels may have been ruined last year because of it.

What is basically boils down to is ML pitchers are p*ssies.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

THey have sent him to Tampa to pitch in a simulated game. So, they have sent him elsewhere to evaluate him. Thats why he is missing his scheduled start for tonite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar