Mike Munchak a strong believer in QB Rusty Smith

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

This much is certain at the quarterback position for the Titans: Jake Locker is the starter, and veteran Matt Hasselbeck will serve as his backup.

It sounds like Rusty Smith’s spot on the roster is secure as well.

While more teams across the league have gone to carrying just two quarterbacks on their 53-man rosters, coach Mike Munchak indicated Tuesday the Titans are leaning toward keeping three again.

“When you are happy with a guy, he is easier to keep,” Munchak said.

Smith, a sixth round draft pick in 2010, has played well during the preseason, going 12-of-19 passing for 162 yards and a touchdown. He has a passer rating of 107.8 in the preseason.

Smith didn’t play in last Thursday’s game against the Cardinals, although he’s expected to play this Thursday against the Saints. The Titans currently have 75 players and must trim to 53 by Friday.

“He has done well,” Munchak said of Smith. “I’ve always liked him from the day we (first) had him. … I like the way he handles the game. I like way he practices. I like his arm. He has just gotten better. It would be very hard (to let him go). He is a guy who has continued to get better and he is great in the room with the (other quarterbacks).”

Source: Titans Insider

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Hmmm. Hasselbeck as NOD and Rusty as Volek? That's what I'm reading here.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He should be competing for the #2 next season or it'll be time to move on.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Trade Hass to Arizona for a player and pick 1 or 2 in next year's draft.

5. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

Easy there chief. If Locker gets hurt and we are in the playoff hunt, there's no way I'd want to depend on Rusty for any amount of time in the thick of the playoff race. Hass could come in and be very effective in that type of situation.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

Hass isn't going anyhwhere this season, but this will be his last season here.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Texans managed with T. J. Yates.

8. RTH

RTH Meh...

I said Arizona due to them most likely needing/wanting a QB this season.

If we managed a deal like Cincy got last season... wouldn't you jump all over it?

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Are you suggesting that the Cardinals would trade their first round pick (likely to be in the top 10) for a 36-year-old quarterback who's currently a backup?

You are absolutely out of your mind.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We all believe

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar