Mike Mayock top 20 and position rankings..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The point is that 2nd and 3rd round CBs (or even later) aren't all that much of a downgrade to guys we might draft in the 1st. The last thing we should do in that scenario, even with CB being a huge need, is use a 1st round pick on one. If Moore is there in the 2nd I like that value much better.

I'm not real sure about WRs. Something tells me Nicks might be a solid value at our pick. Still, there are LBs and maybe even a RB or TE that might be better value. I'll be happy if MR can just pick the guy who is going to be a pro-bowler again.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you're not hard to please ;)

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I am thinking this too. Wouldn't be surprised if we go TE or RB in the 1st. Especially if all the defensive studs are off the board. And then I could also see us trading out of the 1st.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I'd be jumping for joy if this was the first 20 picks. I'd then send our first, fourth and a 3rd next year in trading up to #21...and then I'd select the best pass rushing DE in the draft in Everett Brown!!!

Thank you Cleveland! Goodnight!!!

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Fantasy Land...

Anyone wanna explain to me why Ayers is a top 5 pick? What COULD be his possible upside?

In fantasy land, let's say the combine track is so aweful, it adds .1 to your time so Ayers really is 4.80...wait, I said fantasy land...let's say it adds .2 to your 40 so Ayers is REALLY 4.70 speed. That is solid for a DE...not elite. We KNOW he weighs 272lbs which is fine...and we know he has solid but not spectacular athleticism. We KNOW he couldn't play his way onto the field until his senior year with no real prospect in front of him. We know he didn't sack the QB that much...even being able to rush from all over the field to create the best mismatch for him. He won't have that luxury in the NFL. We also know he's fairly weak due to his limited bench.

So even in fantasy land, he's a solid speed/athletic guy with little pass rushing effect against OT's and bulking him up to play DT is iffy at best. And usually, you don't want a 272lb OLB for a 3-4 D who can't rush the passer, has never covered anyone and is SLOW for an OLB. If you're projecting him to add 25lbs of muscle and play DT for a 4-3 or DE for a 3-4...that's a BIG projection since he's already slow and weak! And you wanna spend a top 5 pick on that???

Have fun!
    Gut

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Tyson jackson would be a straight DT for us. He is not far from 300 lbs right now. If ayers is off the board before 30 it is possible that jackson could fall to us.

Jackson hurt himself by only lifting 20 times on pro day so he could fall.

Another guy who hurt himself with his lift on pro day was marks who only had 16. That could be good for us because we could get him in rd 2.

As for hood i think he is awesome value at 30. Solid 300 lb guy who is one of the strongest guys at the combine. Ran a sub 5.00 40 in a slow combine. the number that really jumps out for me is his 1.62 10 yard time which indicates he can really explode up field and is a great fit for our scheme.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hood vs Peria..

Hood 6'3 300
    Peria 6'2 299

Hood 4.97(combine)
    Peria 4.98 (pro day)

225 lb lift
    Hood 36(pro day)
    Peria 28(pro day

10 yard
    Hood 1.62(Combine)
    Peria 1.68(pro day)

2 year college production
    Hood 111 tk 15tfl 10 sacks
    Peria 107 tk 32tfl 10.5 sacks

Note that hood's 62 tackles this past year was more than any DT prospect except chris baker who played at hampton. His 62 tackles was far more productive than almost all of the top major college DT prospects. In some cases double the production! There are guys who didn't have 62 tackles for their entire careers!

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Fwiw, I've watched every Vols game Ayers played in, and I'll be surprised if he is very good in the NFL. I agree with you and hope Ayers is not one of the Titans targets.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey...

Welcome to the world of comparing combine #'s to Pro Day #'s! :)

One of the things you look for is an upward curve of improvement. You'd like to see a player get better from year to year. Hood had a nice year in '07 with 30 solo tackles, 5 sacks, and 8 tackles for loss in 14 games. How did he follow that up? In '08 he had 31 solo tackles, 5 sacks and 7 tackles for loss in 14 games. The only thing that increased was his assisted tackle totals...which for a DT are impressive. High assisted tackle #'s prove he is a high motor high urgency guy. But him disrupting plays is somewhat limited and he's likely a what ya see, what ya get player. It's also somewhat disconcerting that a player with ELITE NFL measurables didn't have bigger production. He could be great...or he could be a nice solid NFL DT.

Over 28 games, 61 solo tackles, 10 sacks, and 15 tackles for loss with not much change in his core numbers.

Jerry had a solid '07 with 40 solo tackles, 3.5 sacks, and 14 tackles for loss in 12 games. Despite these nice numbers, Ole Miss's rush D was pretty bad. Still, his tfl show how well he penetrates. In '08, he was even better. After hurting his knee right before the season started (and missing the first game), he went on to LEAD the SEC with 18 tackles for loss, 25 solo tackles and 7 sacks in only 11 games. He had multiple games with 2 tackles for loss. Even better, Ole Miss' rush D was #1 in '08...showing he wasn't just a one trick pony and can now play the run quite well.

Over his 23 games (5 less than Hood), he had 65 solo tackles, 10.5 sacks, and a devastating 32 tackles for loss. His solo tackle #'s went down but his already impressive tackles for loss went into truly elite #'s and his sack #'s doubled in 1 less game played. That shows a learning curve in penetration as well as his team's vast increase in rush D shows he probably increased quite a bit in stopping the run and tying up double teams.

Based on the above along with my having seen both players play, I think Jerry is a first rnd pick and Hood is a second rounder who's athleticism could lead a team to reach a bit.

Gut

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I knew you would say that. Peria did not run at the combine and hood did not run a 40(And in effect a 10 yard) at his pro day. I compared pro day to pro day and combine to combine when i could otherwise i had to compare one combine to one pro day.

Thanks for telling me stats i already knew.

Study the stats for the top 10-13 DTs who played in a major conference and most did not produce that much. Marks and taylor for example were not nearly as productive as hood.

Ayers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar