Mike Holmgren

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big Time Titan, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I have seen him say that he would come back to coaching but it wouldn't be in Cleveland so I did a little homework on the guy and I really think that he would be the most qualified coach to replace Fisher.

Here's a look at his NFL coaching career. Very impressive. He's coached Montana, Young, and Favre whom are all some pretty good QBs. I'd like to see what Vince could do with a truly great QBs coach like Holmgren. If he sucks learning from a legend in Holmgren then I'd be willing to label him a bust.

Not to mention he's a damn good GM too. So I'd be cool with him coming in and having total control like Fisher had. We have a solid fan base, a loyal owner, a solid core and I would have to think that would be appealing to a guy like Holmgren. Plus turning VY into a HOF QB a la Steve Young and Brett Favre would be a challenge that as a coach I think he would welcome.

1986 38 NFL San Francisco 49ers Quarterbacks
    1987 39 NFL San Francisco 49ers Quarterbacks
    1988 40 NFL San Francisco 49ers Quarterbacks
    1989 41 NFL San Francisco 49ers Offensive Coordinator
    1990 42 NFL San Francisco 49ers Offensive Coordinator
    1991 43 NFL San Francisco 49ers Offensive Coordinator
    1992 44 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1993 45 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1994 46 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1995 47 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1996 48 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1997 49 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1998 50 NFL Green Bay Packers Head Coach
    1999 51 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2000 52 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2001 53 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2002 54 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2003 55 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2004 56 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2005 57 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2006 58 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2007 59 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach
    2008 60 NFL Seattle Seahawks Head Coach

And these are the stats that make him so great IMO.

161-111 (.592) W-L
    Games over .500: 50
    Super Bowl Wins: 1
    Overall Championships: 1
    Conference Championships: 3
    Division Championships:

His playoff record of 13-11 isn't too impressive but he knows football and I think it says a lot that he was able to take Seattle to the Super Bowl.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Anyone but Fish :)

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. tenforthewin

tenforthewin Camp Fodder

This is actually my dream hire for the titans. A guy know knows QBs and how to coach them. Has taken 2 different franchises to superbowls. However, Holmgren is a hall of fame lock coach and Bud would never pony up what it would take to get a coach of his caliber. Never.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

OMG are you really suggesting that Vince hasn't done well because he hasn't had a decent QB coach? He led the league with his passer rating under Heimerdinger/Fisher- the same pair that had McNair as Co-MVP.

Could it just be that Vince can't control his emotions professionally? Would we have had any of this problem is Vince hadn't asked out of the Jax game or thrown his tantrum?

I honestly don't see how some folks think a different coach would magically transform into a mature and responsible franchise QB.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I'd be totally down with Holmgren the problem is he's a QB guru guy. He is very specific when choosing QB's to run his offense, that means that he would never take this job if VY is attached with it. Same goes with Gruden and Harbaugh, neither of those guys will want to coach VY. Sadly nothing is going to change as long as Bud continues to back VY.

6. DJB

DJB Starter

Maybe if someone told Bud that this guy could make Vince Young look like Steve Young. It's kinda like a dad caving in and buying his daughter an expensive car on her 16th birthday because shes daddys little girl and she gets whatever she wants.

7. Big Time Titan

I forgot to mention that I want Holmgren regardless of who is QB. And NO I'm not blaming VY's shortcomings on anyone else. This is all assuming that Bud sticks to his guns, demands Fish and VY get along, and Fish asks out of here.

I put this all out there knowing that Fish will only leave on his own.

I just think that it would be a challenge for both VY and Holmgren to make it all work and would be very interesting to see. And from a coaching standpoint wouldn't it show how truly great a coach he is if he were able to turn Vince Young into Steve Young. Just saying.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This isn't the worst idea I've seen.

9. Big Time Titan

I'll take it. Just no facepalm.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like what Brian Schottenheimer is doing in New York. I'm not sure if he's HC material tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar