Mike Heimerdinger admits that Lavelle Hawkins "wasn't ready to play"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Titans offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger admits that Lavelle Hawkins "wasn't ready to play" in his rookie season.
    Hawkins only got in 12 games and caught seven passes. "He was thinking about what to do, afraid to make a mistake," Heimerdinger said. "Hopefully his talent that we saw on tape from college comes out. We'll find out in OTAs."

http://www.titansradio.com/Article.asp?id=1285995&spid=27572

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Wow, not a lot of faith in Hawkins (or any of the other young guys). Hopefully he is saying this to motivate them.

''By signing Nate Washington I think we helped ourselves, but after Nate and Justin Gage, I’m not sure what we have,'' Heimerdinger said. ''I feel real good about one and two, but after that I'm not sure. I couldn't tell you who [our third wide receiver] is.''

Sounds like it's a guarantee that a WR gets drafted, and possibly earlier than we are used to.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

why wasn't he ready to play ?
    it is the coaches / coordinators JOB to get these kids ready to play
    if he's NOT ready, you get him ready !

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

this does not sound like a Jeff Fisher approved message

it's no surprise the friggin OC doesn't know his receiving core
    the most exciting name on the list is Craphonso Thorpe, and that's mostly due to name his parents gave him that would guarantee he was the target of every schoolhood bully

seriously. ......
    Chris Davis and Paul Williams have to do something this year or leave
    I do not see Mark Jones being used as a receiver
    and Hawkins was NOT the better Cal WR in last years draft

it's almost as if the passing game is irrelevant in this offense
    of course it is, it doesn't chew up as much clock

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

For real I thought you made that up before I actually read the article.

Yeah, I think our offensive is way too passive and lacks threat.

Heimi is very matter of fact in this article and it really doesn't sound great about Hawkins.

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Boy JF wouldn't know what to do if they wised up and made the clock do the same exact thing (whether stop or keep running) for run and pass plays. Which I think it's effin ridiculous that it's not. If the play's over, the clock should stop on a run or pass play, incomplete pass or not.

Why does football have so many stupid and asinine rules?

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Dinger makes some excellent points; some of which I was previously unaware of, like:
    I did not know this. What is the reason colleges don't run a lot of man to man?

Sounds like a lot of WRs aren't that smart. How can you not buy into the fact you can't out-whatever players in the NFL?
    If I were a stud WR in college, I'd like to think that if I got drafted onto an NFL team, that I would realize that every other WR here is as good as me (give or take). They are here for the same reason you are...they were the best at what they did at their college.

Now, this goes right along with what I've been wondering...
    Then Dinger, why did you voluntarily draft a WR that came from a pass happy university? Don't you think you would have wanted to try to find a Hines Ward type that came from a school that plays a bit more like the Titans?
    AFAIC, Hawkins' learning issues are on you and JF.

8. amy

amy Starter

You know, the same can be said for a certain qb we know. I think the majority of the kids think they can out run, out tackle, out whatever. It takes a while to get them to the point where they are lean, mean, THINKING machines. At the risk of sounding mean or prejudicial, I think far too many of them come out of college with little to no thinking skills. So I don't fault Heimer.

• High Five High Five x 4
  9. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

Most systems run the spread so there is more emphasis on zone coverages so that you can stop the big play and such.

10. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Now, this goes right along with what I've been wondering...

Then Dinger, why did you voluntarily draft a WR that came from a pass happy university? Don't you think you would have wanted to try to find a Hines Ward type that came from a school that plays a bit more like the Titans?
    AFAIC, Hawkins' learning issues are on you and JF.[/QUOTE]

Um, just a clarification . . .Cal really isn't a pass happy offense. They may pass a bit more than they run, but they not a spread team like Texas Tech. They run an offense that is actually a lot like Dinger use to run with Mac back in the day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar