Michael Vick Comparisons?...What about BIG Ben?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Aday25, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aday25

Aday25 TITANSDAY

I've heard on this site and others describe Vince as another Vick or a Michael Vick 2...But have we really looking...what about other QBs?

Similarities...

Vince............................................................ Vick

Poor Wide Recievers........................................Poor Wide Receivers
    Accuracy Issues..............................................Accuracy Issues
    Running abilty, mobile..................................Running Ability, mobile
    Makes the running game better.....................Makes the running game better
    A "black" quarterback.....................................a "black" quaterback
    People are doubting his abilities as a Quaterback....People still doubt his ability

Differances...

Vince ....................................................... Vick

Consistently wins games when starting............Wasn't all that consistent
    Better Leadership Qualities.................................Dog Fighter
    Doesn't have to win by himself............Center-peice of the whole organization
    Is asked to "manage the game"..............asked to be a human highlight reel

...............................................................................................

There are certainly close attributes between the Qbs above...however another comparison (perhaps better) would be Ben Rotheisburger....

Similarities...

Vince ............................................... Ben

Running abilty, mobile..................................Running Ability, mobile
    Makes the running game better.....................Makes the running game better
    Consistently wins games when startin...............consistent
    Leadership Qualities.................................Leadership Qualities
    Doesn't have to win by himself............Doesn't have to win by himself
    Only passes occasionally........................only passes occasionaly
    Is asked to "manage the game"..............Is asked to "manage the game"
    People are doubting his abilities as a QB....People doubted Ben's ability at first

Differances...

Vince .......................................................... Ben

Poor Wide Recievers.............................................Better WRs
    Accuracy Issues.........................Has better accuracy but at first struggled
    A "black quarterback"..................................A "white quarterback"

Conclusion: Vince is more like Ben Rotheisburger then Michael Vick. I'm sure there are more Similarities and differances but I think you wll find that Vince is more like Ben and I am sure will have a similar outcome of success...SUPER BOWL!

I think people shy away from comparing white QBs to black QBs because of controversie...I have never seen Donavan McQnabb or Michael Vick or Warren Moon compared with Brett Farve or John Elway or Steve Young when really they do share many characteristics in the way they play the game...I'm not saying that there is a raciest bias or anything...but I think we just need to look more closely at who is similar to whom...

I want your opinions as well...Is Vince more like Vick or Ben? (Please give reasons not just one statement.)

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Good post. But don't forget Vick's trademark was always that "well, he wins games". Just like people say for Vince.

3. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

I think Vince is like Vince. He is physically tall like Big Ben, but after that it's all about his work ethic and abilities. He needs better receivers, but asside from that it is all about his confidence- last year he had nothing to lose after the team's horrific start. Now he is the starting QB, he's been Offensive Rookie of the Year, he's on the cover of Madden, he's been to the Pro Bowl (as an alternate), etc. The Titans have also built a formidable defense, which is allowing the team to continue to win, even as Vince struggles.
    He is fighting understandable sophmore demons, including defenses planning their strategy around stopping him on the ground. He is also piloting a 5 and 2
    team as of yesterday (10/28/2007) and I guarantee he doesn't want to be the cause of that record slipping. All of these things would place pressure on any player, but add in the scrutiny of the national media and you have a great deal for a young man to deal with. I hope JF & MR will take the steps necessary to get VY the help he needs at receiver, sooner as apposed to later.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Interesting but when did anyone ever doubt roethlisberger's ability in the beginning? And when did he "at first struggle"? Roethlisberger completed 66% of his passes for a 98 passing rating while helping to lead the steelers to a 15-1 record as a rookie. then he won a ring in his soph season Nobody could ask for more than that..

I think you bring up some interesting points.

5. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

The front office won't admit it publicly, but they're saying under their breath " what were we thinking ". That being said... Fisher, who didn't want Young, has done everything to get this guy to be consistent. Moving the pocket, gimmick plays, keeping the offensive plays to it's most basic form..ect. There is nothing solid or supporting my opinion as far as the front office... but I can just in-vision them sitting around a table shaking their heads and staring at his wonderlic score.

6. KingTitan25

KingTitan25 Guest

ik vince hasnt been that good this yr, but no one was complaining when he almost took us to the playoffs last yr. yes ik its this yr and not last but im just trying to say hes done it before and maybe this is just a 2nd yr slump.

7. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

I was. there is no sophomore slump... Young had his moments, but it was our running game and defense that was winning our games. Young benefited from luck ( ie: Giants' game ) and excitement of coming into the league ( which was nothing more than smoke and mirrors ). Once teams realized that his passing was worst than expected and they could just take-away his one read... Young would take the passing game away himself, and teams knew this coming into the year, so his lack of accuracy, in-ability to read a defense, lead a receiver or even throw a 1/2 decent deep ball are even more exploited. Fans will bring up " he went to the pro-bowl "... he had no business being there. He was there by default and voted on by ESPN highlights.

8. Vince is just like Vick. The comparison is obvious. Mobile QB who has great success running the ball as a 1st year starter, but becomes useless once defenses adjust and force him to throw.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Vick never won in College like Vince did. That is the difference in regard to winning. Vince has been stellar winning football games at all levels. Vick has just been aw-right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar