Michael Lewis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by theprizdfighter, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I like him too but i've really bought into the youtube Nelson video & scouting reports,:greedy:

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut...

I think hope can be that centerfielder for us if we can get someone who can play in the box. It was because 220 lb lamont thompson couldn't come up and tackle anyone that hope took that role. Hope is really a free safety.

I have no probable with your scenario of drafting a stud safety like hill and then getting a top FA corner. I just don't think it is feasable if even possible.

Hamlin would be a lot cheaper and hamlin's pressence would free up hope to be that guy you want. It's a stud CB that might be more realistic in the draft and there are a bunch of them to pick from. Including the 2nd rd.. Bennett, houston, mccauley..

Hamlin plus leon hall or a revis would be much cheaper than getting a clements.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

We'll see how Indy affects the first rnd....who upgrades and who falls off. The VERY big question marks are the WR's and the CB's. If we get a few WR's and a few CB's worth a top 20 rating, then we could very well end up with a Nelson or Landry being available (possibly both...or neither).

Even still, there are 2 other possibilities for getting a good S prospect in this draft. First, there are good Safety prospects for the first 3 rnds of the draft. Second, some of the CB's currently rated as low 1st to 3rd rnd picks will end up being moved to S (FS) due to lack of top end speed. These will provide us more S prospects.

Despite Nelson's excellent play and reputation, I just have a feeling he'll drop a little because he's not a wrap up tackler (he tries to knock everyone out...and frequently does) and he's under 200lbs (so far).

And I wouldn't be crying if we drafted Sabby Piscatelli (a 220lbs 4.5 speed safety who's good but not great against both the run and the pass) in rnd 3.

If you're gonna sign Hamlin, we'd get just as much production or more by inserting Finnegan, Fuller, or Lowry for a LOT less money. The one thing we CAN NOT do is overspend on avg or slightly avg players.

Gut

4. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

He was in Pittsburgh

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Roll...

Yes Hamlin or any other FA S + a 2nd rnd CB is gonna be cheaper than a Clements (by himself). However, these CB's are gonna have a higher bust rate since they all have flaws (and you know how well Schwartz covers up player's flaws) and it's hard to imagine any CB in this draft rating higher than Nelson or Landry. And for that matter, why wouldn't you get the best CB in free agency who's Pro Bowl caliber. We can spend say 5-6mil on an avg S (Hamlin) and hope our CB doesn't turn into Andre Woolfolk, or we can get one of the best prospects in the draft and a Pro Bowl CB to team with Pacman for an extra 3-4mil? For the amount of exponentially better coverage (imagine a secondary with 4 good to great players with Finnegan and Fuller as the nickel and dime) and it'd be hard not to justify the extra 3-4mil...IMO.

And stop saying McCauley is a viable second rnd pick for us. I've already explained he's good at press man, but is pretty lost at everything else and it showed during Senior Bowl practices (not to mention him getting benched in college). And Bennet will need a good combine to be a second rnd pick. He's a big CB so someone will probably point at Rashean Mathis to suggest taking him. Houston would be a good guy in rnd 2, but I'd lock up a Pro Bowl caliber CB in FA instead because we can afford it and use the draft to draft better players at better stocked positions that we can't fix via free agency without overspending for less bang for our buck.

Gut

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Thanks Gut

My knowledge of college football & it's nfl bound players is limited to what I can scour from the 'draft' sites.

Over the last two years I have to say they've been hit & miss with their scout reports.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nonsense gut!

There is no justification to think that lowry, fuller and finnegan are just as good as hamlin. Hamlin has been a solid safety for several years in the nfl and lamont thompson can't carry his jock but he(thompson) started every game ahead of those guys..

Hamlin had 3 ints, 2 sacks and 8 passes defended. He is far better against the run than LT and probably no worse against the pass. We could sign him for maybe $3.5M a year instead of the $8m+ it would cost for a top corner.

I have far more confidence that a finnigan could play CB for us than safety.

As far as mccauley not being second rd material? Ok so we draft him in the 3rd rd then, does that help your arguement?

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I don't want a senior CB who got benched while playing in the WAC.

9. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

In Pittsburgh Hope did play centerfield; he is great at it. He is a big part of the reason why Polamalu had his success.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

nonsense? nonsense!

Hamlin has been a solid player, but nothing to write home about. WE know that Lowry, Fuller, and Finnegan would all be better than Lamont because you'd be hardpressed to be worse (some of that isn't Lamont's fault). That's my justification for what I said. When each of these players (Finnegan, Fuller, and Lowry) got on the field, they all played better than Lamont.

Why would we want to pay a solid player 3.5-4mil a year when we either have a solid player already or can draft a BETTER than solid player???

I don't understand why you'd rather have a "solid" safety and Finnegan starting, or an above avg-great S and a Pro Bowl caliber CB playing the same positions....? Isn't the upgrade obvious? And we certainly have the cap room!

No. Why would we draft a CB in any round who's terrible at 3/4's of the defense we play??? If we had a DC who predominantly used man...fine. But we're just the opposite so it makes no sense to draft a McCauley when he can't play zone or man off coverages. We almost never play man to man press anymore. He'd be a Lamont waiting to happen and we have a lot better upgrades we can make with other CB's or other positions in rnd 3.

Why do you like McCauley???

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar