MGMT vs My Morning Jacket vs Rise Against CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 10, 2016.

?
  1. MGMT

46.7%
  2. My Morning Jacket

26.7%
  3. Rise Aagainst

26.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I don't see any difference between the two. Live music is a rehash of the turd polishing done in a studio; even the most tenured of musicians still have to go through the same processes that MGMT does (who DO play instruments, btw...the ProTools is a sketch pad like it is for everyone else). Some of the biggest classic hits started with absolutely awful demos.
    And again: art is art is art regardless of how it's made. Your neighbor Bucky Barrett made an orchestral album using nothing but GarageBand and it was good regardless of the fact that he can't play orchestral instruments. That he's tenured as a legendary guitarist is utterly irrelevant to the piece.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Oh there's a huge difference.
    You're entirely leaving out the "human factor".
    I find it to be the single most challenging aspect of playing music. Absolute.
    I'm sure it's somewhat lesser issue if you're working with covers mostly - but the 'translating the writing' part to a finished live piece of original music adds so many layers of potential grief it's not even funny.
    I could record and present an entire record in a fraction of the time it takes to add 3 or 4 other heads to the project, deal with their mountain of BS and multiple views on how things should be done etc. then pray your original vision is still intact once you're farmed out 3/4 of the moving parts to other folks..
    "Yeah, but now you only have to concentrate on your own instrument" - yeah right..
    I have always found pure musical creativity much easier to channel gone solo in the studio..

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It's been a long time since I played in a band that did originals.. But I do see your point. Unless the other musicians have great synergy, a riff you bring to the table with a group of 3 or more will likely end up being a totally different song than you envision. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Lot of it has to do with the band members limitations. Drummers especially. Unless you lay down the groove for them, beat by beat, they are going to play it how they can, and how it sounds good to them. Which is very likely not what you expect.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

[​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

I played bass in a band in college. We mostly did covers, but we played a couple songs I wrote, also. It was a nightmare trying to get our drummer to play the beat as written on the originals. So, during our first gig, in the middle of an original that I was singing, the guy completely quits playing drums. My voice relayed the way I felt for the rest of the song. Needless to say, we found a new drummer the next day.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

good drummers are so hard to find. I quit trying. We now just play Solo, as a 2 man duo, or have a friend fill in on the bongos/congas. It's a lot simpler that way. Plus, one less way to split the money.. and at this point, I'm just doing it for the money, anyway. Kids change your perspective on crap.

Never made one cent on any original music project. Make decent money doing covers. Better than working a night job a few nights a week, I guess.

The only original music that sells in this city is the hippie Phish-type stuff, and that's just not me, and never will be.

#16 nickmsmith, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    • High Five High Five x 1
  7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I am lucky enough to have played with the same core members for nearly 15 years - and mostly the same drummer since I started playing, who moved to Nashville when I did and only recently moved away.
    My guy now is an excellent drummer and has played with the best - but its a whole new language.

I like to spend my time working a song up with the drummer and bass player - then bring in the other guitar and lastly vocals - well the world doesn't work that way and the two guys who should be on hold start in with their two cents before I even have a minute to ponder what things are sounding like. And lord knows it's an affront to even start to tell the other guys just to chill for a damn minute..
    There is always a potential for a whiney meltdown from whoever if you stand your ground. 'Equal input' looks great on paper but it can be a disaster waiting to happen in real life..
    I am the visionary. Ye shall do my bidding - is the best scenario..

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Well..none of that has anything at all to do with what I was saying, but since we're here...
    I have a primary band that I play for now but I'm also a mercenary, so I never know what I'm gonna get on any given night. I played in one band that wrote originals and they were very easy to work with because they weren't very skilled players; they went the farthest because they had the right attitude. My job became the bridge composer, which I was very good at.
    I would love to lead.a project here but I haven't met anyone I'd want to work with; we're all big fish in a tiny little pond.

9. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

RISE AGAINST

I do like MGMT but gotta go with RA head-to-head.
    RA is awesome live, I've heard bad things about MGMT live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar