Mettenburger's QB Metric Data

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

There is no way Mettenberger is put on the practice squad.Someone would snatch him away quicker than Lagarette Blount.I do think like Alex stated that Mettenberger makes the final roster of 53 players.If anything they would put him on PUP if they don't think he is quite ready.

As far as Rusty Smith well Zach is much better than Rusty ever was.Its like comparing apples and oranges.Rusty played for a small school against inferior competition while Zach played in a pro style offense in the strongest conference in college football against much tougher competition.Also Zach was projected to go in the second round but fell due to injury and off the field concerns.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

Whitehurst is making the team. He's not a coach. He's a comfortable guy that can run Whiz's offense in an emergency. Tyler Wilson and Mettenberger will compete for the Rusty Smith spot. The Titans FO selected both of these guys, and they both have a shot at making the 53. Teams try to sign all of their draftees, but I can't see us going into the season with Locker and two guys that have never seen an NFL snap. That would be irresponsible.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Based on what? It appears to me that we have very little in which to base an opinion as his last action was in '11. Whiz saw the guy practice all last season and thought he was a better option than Fitz who many felt was the top #2 QB in the league last season. I think we have to put a little faith in Whiz's evaluation here.

I'm not saying Charlie is going to challenge Locker but it isn't much of a reach to assume he's Whiz's boy which means the likelihood a 6th-round rookie coming off an ACL snagging the #2 job isn't likely.

I think Whiz would give Charlie a shot. If he isn't productive, go Mett or Wilson. Whiz has never been bashful about starting depth at QB.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I hope you're right.

But teams reach for QBs every draft and 31 other teams weren't willing to take a shot at what many here feel is a possible quality starting QB.

I don't blame the Titans for giving it a chance as the pick is low risk/high reward but we need to temper expectations. The chances Mett ever challenges for the starting job are extremely remote.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I also find it interesting that guys who are ready to give up on Locker because of injury issues are so high on Mett. Who has worse injury issues.

6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Hmmm, then I am assuming we will take a OT for the other side. LOL

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I don't think too many of us are really "high" on Mettenberger. Merely holding out hope. Bottom line is our QB group has looked like Locker/Rusty/washed up vet for the past 3 seasons. Any new face, especially one with such potential, is going to be welcomed by optimism.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Fair enough. Expecting much this year though I think is a little much. Probably not going to see much out of him until 2015. The pick has Markelle Martin written all over it. Let's just hope it ends better.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The funny thing is that if we didn't grab Lewan this yr. Then next yr we could very well be faced with needing both a QB and a LT. That is a bad combination to need.

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Well, I'm simply basing it on the fact that the dude's been in the NFL for eight years and has only thrown 150 passes. That tells me something. Talent doesn't typically get held down for that long. He would've caught on somewhere if he was worth a darn.

And I think Whis choosing Whitehurst over Fitz could've been as simple as him already knowing the system. Fitz didn't exactly make a strong case for sticking around when he was called into action anyway. So why not bring in "your guy" who at least has a leg up on the system? Makes sense to me at least.

I don't necessarily think he's going to snag the #2 job from CW. What I said is I believe they will end up carrying 3. And I think it will be 1.) Locker, 2.) Whitehurst, 3.) Mettenberger (However, when Locker goes down I don't expect Whitehurst will hold onto the starting spot long.) But IF they only carry two, I think it would be Locker and Mett. For the reasons I stated in my earlier post (gave up two draft picks, "potential", etc.)

Why are you so confident Whis only rolls with 2 QBs? I know he carried 3 (at least at times) in Arizona. And with this being his first year here, a transition year for the offense, and with Locker's durability a HUGE question mark I honestly just can't see why he wouldn't. For the sake of one more backup, backup LB or DB or something? If one position is going to make or beak the season, it's QB. Just seems dumb or at least a huge risk to decide to roll with Mr. Glass and a guy nicknamed Clipboard Jesus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar