Mettenberger...high praise from Cameron

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

The reports were that they literally wanted Carr so that he could compete with Jake for the starting spot. This isn't conjecture, this was explicitly said. No they didn't trade up for Carr but that's because they understood how much it would cost and were strapped for picks. When your QB is the guy you don't spend a high draft pick on another QB to come compete with him, it's that simple. The want does mean something because it gives you an idea of how the staff feels about Jake.

The fact that the staff was willing to use a 2nd round pick on Carr in a year where they have no 3rd rounder at the very least strongly indicates that they're not 100% sold on Jake and are prepairing to replace him if he should suck or get hurt. This isn't like the Pats drafting Jimmy G as an eventual replacement to Brady, the Titans wanted Carr to come in and compete with Jake immediately. I don't think the fact that they weren't willing to sell off their entire draft to get him is relevant to whether or not they saw Carr as a guy who could compete with and maybe unseat Locker. The fact that we didn't take him at 11 is also pretty irrelevant because they had a good idea he'd be available in the second and taking him at 11 would've been a huge reach. We think Sankey is a 1st round talent but we took him in the second because we had a good idea that he'd be available.

The fact is Jake is on his last legs in Tennessee and he'll be fighting for his job. It's sink or swim time and the staff is in the market for Locker insurance.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yet they have none. Draft is over.

Huge reach is N/A because if you think that this is the QB that is going to take your team to the super bowl, you take him... period. You do not sit around and hope that QB hungry teams pass on him. That is a foolish way of operating. If they wanted a QB, they would have taken one!!! They had their pick OF THE FIELD.

Either they are STUPID.... or they did not want a QB til the 6th round. Waiting to see who falls to you is no way to plan for your starting QB.

3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Wrong. Why take a guy in the 1st when you think you can get him in the 2nd? By your logic we didn't really want Sankey because we waited to take him in the 2nd rather than blow our 1st on him and even traded 10+ spots down past our original pick.

This staff does not believe in Jake the way some of you guys think they do. Their willingness to take Carr at 42 tells me more about Jake than Carr himself. They're willing to replace him and if he gives them the chance to, they will. They're dating Jake, they ain't married to him.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Someone doesn't understand sarcasm...

5. Deuce Wayne

Again... sarcasm, bro. Look it up.

6. Deuce Wayne

So would you say they didn't want Sankey?

I mean... since they didn't take him at 11. Must mean they didn't want him, right?

C'moonnnnnn duuude...

7. nickmsmith

Ok. I see that our difference of opinion is on the severity of the "want."

They were in the "it would be nice to have him" kind of stage. Like Sankey. Because if they REALLY wanted Carr, there is no excuse not for them to have him.

IMO, with the QB position in the draft, either you believe that he is your guy to take you places, and you grab him first chance, or you wait lackadaisically if you are not totally sold. Titans are the latter.

The bills with EJ Manuel was a shocker last year.. But they had the right frame of mind. QB is THE position that matters way above all else. If he is the guy.. You get him before someone else does. Titans sat back and watched the texans draft, then the Raiders pick him.

You don't let that happen if you have confidence that this player is an all pro. Sitting back and waiting for a QB is what landed the Vikes Christian ponder.

8. nickmsmith

See my post above.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The draft showed that the Titans wanted a QB. If they didn't want one then they would not have traded up to get one. But it showed that they did not feel that they had to reach for one. I think that they had a group of QBs with approximately the same grade and they were willing to wait until the run on them started. They didn't have a favorite that they felt like they had to have. So they were patient and took other areas of need until the run on the QBs started and then they reacted.

This staff is willing to give Locker his chance. They did not want to bring in a high pick to compete against him. If they wanted that then they would have taken one.

For those claiming that we really wanted Carr please show me a quote from Webster or Whiz saying such.

The one thing you can say about this draft is that we took quite a few players that were good values at their picks...Lewan, Sankey, Jones, and Mettenberger

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Cameron is the one that got marty to not give the ball to LT in the playoffs and got him fired. Cameron was a terrible head coach. Cameron was fired from the ravens and refused to use ray rice. I believe I could be the OC at LSU with all that talent. Not saying he is terrible just over rated just like jeff fisher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar