Mettenberger...high praise from Cameron

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I didn't say "hasn't". I'm saying "now". Methinks Cam exaggerates.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Until he actually has a few down yrs, I won't consider him a has been.

Do I think Mett is going to be a combination of Manning/Brady/Brees/Rivers? Not at all. I found it refreshing to hear that he is a tough guy that is a gym/film rat. My take on Mett was that he wasn't really a hard worker. That he just got by on natural talent. I see no reason that Cameron would make up those qualities.

In going back and watching several of his games, He can make some tremendous throws. He does a nice job of hitting his receivers in stride on slants and also does a nice job of hitting the RB on flair routes and WRs on the bubble screens. He does seem to crumble under pressure sometimes.

I want Locker to succeed, but if he doesn't I think getting Mett in the 6th was a great pickup.

3. 615nick

615nick Starter

I disagree with the coaching staff here but Idt they wanted any high qbs this draft. I think they were looking for late round potential guys, like mett, mcc, murray, etc. I also don't think they are fully sold on locker, but are willing to give him a fair shot. If we do bad it's on locker not whiz, it's a.free year to implement the new o and d, if are good it's on whiz for sticking with locker. Either way he's a.genious

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

If Locker gets hurt, and we are stuck with CW as our starter, that will be on Webster/Whisenhunt. That will be our official saddest situation at QB since Doug Johnson was our starter.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

They're so behind him which is why they were going to draft David Carr in the 2nd round...

Here's the thing:

It's very popular for new coaches to bring in their own QB. Especially when the current QB sucks.

They're not going to come in and say "This guy sucks."... They're talking in cliche's about Jake and if you believe any of it, explain Charlie Whitehurst.

Yep.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

David Carr huh....

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

They DID NOT draft Carr in the 2nd round. "Wanted to" means nothing.

They did not draft any of the top tier QBs, when they had a choice of ANY other than bortles in the 1st.

They did not move UP to grab Carr.

They did not draft a QB with 2 4ths, or a 5th round pick.

If you want someone who falls into the 2nd round, and you have pick #11.. there is a way to make that happen. They could have traded Lewan away for someone's 1st and 2nd round pick, and got him. They didn't.

They did not bring in "their guy" unless Mettenberger was their guy from the start.. they just let him slide for 6 rounds and fall into their lap. If he was "Their Guy" he would have been drafted in the 2nd after Carr was taken.

If Whitehurst is Whisenhunt's guy for the future, then I question that move.

He is tiptoeing around the QB situation this year, Giving Locker all the leeway. I don't see how that is really arguable.

When did Charlie ever push someone for a starting job? When did a 6th round pick who is coming off an ACL injury a half year ago?

derp.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

I agree, if they wanted Carr they would have traded up to get him in 2...they had to of known Oak, Hou could be taking a QB...
    but letting guys "fall to us" seems to be the Titans way...that's why we don't make the play-offs and stay mediocre.

Locker seems to have this year to prove himself without looking over his shoulder too much.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

People... calm down... I was not a fan of Mett's but can understand the value of drafting this guy in the 6th round.. I'm sure we can all agree to this. It is a low risk high reward situation... Now, that being said it obviously puts us in a good position.

Jake is now in his contract year... Sooooooo..... He will work harder and more than likely play better than he has his entire career. He has something to prove.. We know it.. Don't you think he does as well. Whitehurst was brought in specifically to help Jake.. They are doing what they can to help progress Jake as quickly as possible.

I personally can't wait till team activities get started... We get to see what each quarterback can do. And if that means Jake is definitely the man.. or Mett jumps him... I'm good either way.

I'm honestly more concerned about the defense.

10. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

I have a lot of respect for Cam and what he did in Baltimore with limited talent IMO. Similar to Wiz that it starts with the run and play action and you take big play chances down the field. Interestingly, he didn't run Air Coryell when he went to LSU, he's installed a pro style system.
    The reason he's at LSU is because of his relationship with Miles and the fact that he was a little tired of the burnout of NFL. I suspect he'll stay there until Miles leaves or Cam decides to retire.

I do like Mett as I've said - perfect for the system. No harm in competition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar