Mett is starter material

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 520, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Notice the difference in QBR rating when we are trailing vs tied. His passer rating is almost the same but a drastic difference in QBR. That is the proof his passer rating (stats) are being boosted in garbage time. QBR was brought about to show this very thing. The fact that you posted it as proof you're right when it actually proves you wrong shows you don't know what you are talking about and as usual, just cherry picking stats instead of looking at the big picture and all stats in context.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, any QB needy team has already called the Titans about Mett because he's got a canon, young, cheap, and now a backup. Many people, myself included thought someone would take a flyer on Mike Glennon who's in a similar position. But either the Bucs want too much for him even though they drafted someone to start in front of him or, like us, they are gonna hedge their bets unless someone offers us a deal we can't refuse (1st round pick). Usually between the top 2 QB's selected in the draft, one of them busts. Mariota and Winston are not sure things.

Mariota is no sure thing just as Mett is not a sure backup (meaning he could become an NFL starter). They both have potential but because Mariota was the #2 overall pick and has great talent, he's gonna get the shot right now. But our OL has been inconsistent to say the least and all of our QB's got knocked out of games last season so to expect Mariota to make it 16 games is probably a stretch. So Mett will get his opportunities during the season most likely. We'll see what he does with them.

Most people hope Mariota is the savior but hopefully between the 2, we will find at least 1 franchise QB...if not 2. On those contracts, that IS a good problem to have!!!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Yes, Mett can start on an NFL team and, given the right circumstances, could likely be fairly successful.

The hope with the draft pick was that Mariota would become a HOF level player though, and not just a serviceable starter.

That said, folks can't blame Mett for never winning a game last year. Tom Brady nor Peyton Manning could have won a game with the group he was playing with last year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. NashVillian

NashVillian Practice Squad

Im note sure we are ready to put him in those guys league yet....

5. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

What's up with the Eagles tho??

• LOL LOL x 1
  6. NashVillian

NashVillian Practice Squad

Ha hey man Huge fan of the eagles since Reggie White, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Randall Cunningham etcT. he Bounty Bowl may be the best thing that ever happened if you ask me...oh ya i hate anything cowboys.

I follow the titans but not a huge fan mainly because the front office is ridiculous... Need to get a real owner that wants to win.

7. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Tell me gut..why is it that he goes from more tds than ints to more ints than tds? Talk about faulty logic...so you don't think improvement is feasible.
    Also he was literally like 2 completions from 60%..not bad for a rookie playing behind a 2 and 3 string line...

**** using gut logic we should expect mariota to have a 1:4 TD:int ratio.

Also why can't anyone explain why mett..who "only does good in garbage time" had a top 5 ypa or ypc I forget what one..but how is that possible playing vs prevent d who's sole purpose is to take away the deep ball...

#107 520, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

As usual, you don't actually read, then make assumptions, then bash people for YOUR assumptions not making sense.

Mett had more TD's than INT's but he had more TURNOVERS than TD's. Fumbles that are lost are turnovers too. If you want to project his stats from what they are, you either project them all or you are cherry picking them to make him look better (and that's taking his stats out of context). And one of your biggest problems in putting so much faith in those stats are that they are such a small sample size to have much confidence in that this is replicable in 500-600 throws. He only had 179 throws last year. And BTW, he was 1 completion away from having 60+% completion. But the tiny sample size is why no one can say with any confidence what Mett is right now. He shows a lot of potential so could he improve? Absolutely. But he could also wash out and be out of the league too. I don't think that will happen, but it has happened before. Because of his upside and my lack of faith in Whiz and our current OL, I would not trade Mett for a mid-rnd pick. He's insurance for a Mariota injury.

As for his YPA avg, again we are talking small sample size so a few big plays really boost this number. And while a prevent defense is designed to stop deep throws, any throw over 8yds is boosting his yards per attempt (which was 7.9). Prevent defenses will gladly give that up to make you walk down the field. It's not like he had a YPA avg of 20! What's not to understand?

9. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

Fowler is a damn good pick. He did great first preseason game and is showing us he was a steal for the fourth round. Mett isn't worth more than a 4th, we shouldn't trade him, especially because his trade value isn't high!

#109 titanthakur, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I loved the Fowler pick since before it was made. We have never had a really good, all around, fullback. Fowler has a chance to be a stud blocker, receiver and pitch in carrying the ball. Very good pick for a fourth rounder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar