Metro Courts to implement dress code

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070627/NEWS03/706270445

Limits of power are fuzzy
    The legal question over whether a judge can sanction a person for being dressed improperly is murky. Some judges have argued that inappropriate dress can disrupt a courtroom, just like talking too loud or letting a cell phone ring.

Local defense attorney remembers one person going to criminal court with a T-shirt on that said, "I did it." :eh?:
    A witness came to court one day wearing a shirt that said, "Don't believe a word that I say," :loser:

:bonk:

it's been awhile since i've seen a courtroom, but I seem to remember the geral rule of thumb was to not appear guilty.
    I mean, c'mon ......
    if you're in court for speeding, don't wear an "I can't drive 55" shirt
    if you're in court for anything, don't wear an "I did it" shirt
    :crazy:

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

People will do ridiculous things... haven't you seen boston legal?

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

can't say that I have

4. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Such judges should be removed from the bench by a higher court.

If someone bothers to walk to court in comfortable clothes, only to be turned away by some power mad judge, and additionally fined, then it is an abuse of power, plain and simple.

This is exactly the opposite of "blind justice.

How can the court credibly claim that they are not prejudiced about race, color, national origin, etc. if they are posting signs that if you don't look good to them then you are not even allowed to say that you are not guilty?
    If they judge by looks in any way, then they are unfit to rule from the bench. They should try to get a job as high school principal if they want to try to play petty tryant.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Dress codes are good things.

Cutting off your dreads is good thing too, eh Pacman?

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Why don't they just hand out black robes to everyone? Kinda like when you go to a schmancy restaurant and they give you a loaner coat if you aren't dressed appropriately. Better yet - why don't we just move our court proceedings into those nice restaurants and discuss the matter over a juicy filet and a nice bottle of cabernet sauvingon? That seems much more civilized to me.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Only the Judge gets a black robe.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I think the issue here is a matter of social regards as opposed to bad taste in fashion
    if you read through again, it says that some women are wearing see through / revealing clothing and some men are wearing those damned pants you see hanging below the crotch
    there were remarks that some bordered on indecent exposure

there's no place for that in public, let alone a court of law

I like the comment about courts in Florida barring attendees from entering if they showed up looking like a street thug or a rent a ho
    why show up to court like that anyway ?
    if you are making a statement that you do not respect the judicial system, then that might also say that you hold no respect for the law.

9. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

When I go to court I'm always dressed my best. I've seen people in court that look like they've just rolled out of bed. I'd be embarrassed.

10. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

The dress code has come from the NBA court to the criminal court.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar