Merchant-Ivory...

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by RollTide, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The films of Merchant-Ivory are being featured this month on TCM.

The films represent a partnership that officially began in 1961 and continued until Merchant's death in 2005. The life partnership of the 2 men began when they met in 1959. Yes they were gay.

http://www.merchantivory.com/about-mip.html

Ismial Merchant was an Indian citizen who was educated at New york University. He would produce all of the 27 films they made.

James Ivory was an American director who directed all of the 27 films.

Ruth Prawer Jhabvala a German born screen writer who wrote many of the scripts for the films.

The early Merchant-Ivory films were made in India where they had funds available for filming that were not available elsewhere. I guess you could complain that the films are too much about British chracters living in India pre independence and not enough about the people and culture of that country.

Many people especially Americans who find these films to be boring artsy-fartsy think of Merchant-Ivory as a British film outfit since their most famous films are British stories with a British cast. Not true at all since Merchant-Ivory made films about many topics in a variety of locations and neither man was British.

I like these films and since i have not seen many of them look forward to watching them on TCM. TCM started yesterday showing the films in chronological order starting with their first film together.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The 3 most well known and decorated Merchant-Ivory films are a must for everybody.

A room with a view 1985 staring Helena Bonham Carter when she was only 19.

Howard's End 1992 staring Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson

The Remains of the day 1993 also staring Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson

The early 90s represents their peak period.

I rented the VHS of Jefferson in Paris 1995 in the late 90s and was not overly impressed. I want to see that again. Nick Nolte as Thomas Jefferson?

White countess 2006 was the last project they worked on together. Merchant died while filming that. The film was finished and James Ivory has since done another film. I would like to see those films.

Any other recommendations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar