Mel's Insider Prediction for Titans

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by NewHorizans, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Today, Mel Kiper posted his predictions of the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft for ESPN Insider members to read. If you are an Insider Member, the entire article can be read here:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...draft-mel-kiper-makes-picks-gm-every-nfl-team

If not, I thought it would be interesting to discuss his prediction for the Titans. Since we dont have a 3rd round, he only had to predict two players.

"Tennessee Titans
    Top needs: CB, QB, DE, RB

Round 1 (11) QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
    Round 2 (42) RB Carlos Hyde, Ohio St.

Analysis: This is one I struggled with a little bit. On the one hand, I feel like the Titans are really just a QB away from competing for a playoff spot, and I have not been in the camp that says Jake Locker is the answer. I don't see it. I think he's simply too inconsistent with his accuracy even before the health issues. On the other hand, is a rookie the guy who can improve the team in the short term? I'm going to make the bet, because I think Bridgewater becomes a decent value at this spot, and he has the smarts, accuracy and anticipation to play early on. I always say not to draft a running back in Round 1, but at No. 42, getting the best back in the draft becomes a decent pick. Hyde can succeed behind an improved offensive line. I know cornerback is a need, but the first-round run really gutted the position by No. 42 overall, and the next CB taken isn't until No. 64. The value just isn't there." - Mel Kiper

I like that more NFL experts are starting to notice the Titans talent. And I dont know I would hate these two picks. Before anyone mentions why he didnt have us drafting these players, Mel has Mike Evans going to the Buccs, Bortles going to Vikings, and Manziel going to Browns.

Bridgewater would be very interesting pick as earlier in the off season, he was predicted to go 1st overall. He played in a NFL style offense in college, so it makes sense why Mel thinks he can start at some point this coming season. It would really be great to land Hyde in the 2nd round. I do that it is possible. Getting Hyde in the 2nd would be the only reason I would be ok with not trading down in 2nd to get a 3rd round pick. I personally would love getting both Mike Evans and Carlos Hyde in this draft, but there is a strong chance he gets drafted before 11.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I would be extremely happy with these first 2 picks.

Mel's almost always wrong, though.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

With so many QB needy teams ahead of us I do not see Bridgewater dropping that far

4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Thanks for posting for those of us who don't have ESPN Insider.

Teddy Bridgewater :puke:

Here's my draft philosophy:

First Round:
    1) Take one of the two franchise QBs in the 1st: Manziel or Bortles
    2) Take one of the elite pass rushers: Barr, Mack.
    3) Trade back
    4) Take one of the elite OTs: Matthews, Robinson.
    5. Take either Mosley, Gilbert, or BPA.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

CORNERBACK is first need.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

You have Manziel and Bortles confused with Jimmy Garappolo

7. PA724_Titans

PA724_Titans Special Teams Standout

I was all about Vince young when we started him but if we take another black QB I'll be finding a new team. I doubt whisenthunt takes a QB period.

8. 615nick

615nick Starter

I wouldn't be mad with these picks but, im not completely sold on hyde, maybe im wrong. I like bwater or manziel for sure in the first, these are who we need

9. 615nick

615nick Starter

Bye

• High Five High Five x 14
  10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Potentially the best QB and best RB in the draft?

Sign me up. Holy hell. If they did become the best of this class we are contenders within a couple years... all hypothetical, of course.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar