Meanwhile in Denver...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Hooky Hornstein, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

I was reading football articles on the web and I happened to notice this lamentation in the Dever Post that references Vince Young. And no, I'm not trying to disparage Jay Cutler in any way. I think he's a fine quarterback. I merely find it amusing that while there are some in Tennessee who will probably always think the Titans blew it by drafting Young instead of Cutler, there are some (this article's writer any way) who are ready to bestow accolades upon Vince Young from afar. I guess for some, the grass is always greener on the other side.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

True. But Young is having the best season so far of the three and it's by a pretty wide margin.

Cutler's started out fairly well so far. He's upped his completion percentage to 64.7 from last year's 59.1 but his TD to INT ratio has dropped as has his passer rating (82.8).

Watching him yesterday, he looked great at times using his powerful arm to thread a needle throwing across his body. Then he looked lost going to the wrong receiver or launching a ball to the sidelines.

Leinart's problems have gotten a lot of publicity. His completion percentage has dropped to 53.5, he has only two TDs to three INTs and his passer rating is 63.8 which is over a 10 point dip from '06. He's now sharing snaps in Arizona. With the receiving talent they have, you have to wonder if he'll ever live up to expectations.

So far, Vince is at 62.7 in his completion percentage which is a 10 point jump from '06. A major improvement. He has three TDs and two INTs. His passer rating is 83.3 which tops Cutler and Leinart so far this season. Obviously, his run stats more than doubles the other two with one less game played.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'm trying to figure out how Vince is having the best season by 'a wide margin'. lol

VY -

426 yards (not good)
    3 TDs
    2 Ints
    83 qb rating
    2-1 w/l

Jay -

926 yards (more respectable)
    4 TDs
    5 ints
    82 qb rating
    2-2 w/l

Not much of a margin at all really.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Which begs the question - are the Titans just that much better of a team than the Broncos (a statement that would have gotten you laughed off the internet 3 months ago), or is Young that much better of a QB than Cutler - to be putting up better performances with inferior talent (another statement that would likely get you laughed off the internet even today).

I love Cutler, and I'm surprised he's not doing better this year... but the truth is that Young is playing smarter football right now. He's making very good decisions, he's playing within himself, and when he's asked to make plays with his arm he's delivering the ball extremely well. Media types that were criticizing him last year are now praising his ability to read defenses, and saying they are pleasantly surprised with his arm strength and accuracy so far. You know VY has Monday Night Football in Denver circled on his calendar. Last MNF was his chance to prove himself against Bush, and the next MNF will be a chance to prove himself against Cutler - a guy many are still saying was the best QB in his draft. Young can't like that and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does about it.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

VS. Indy

Cutler
    61.9 completion %
    131 yards
    2 TD
    2 Turnovers
    75.7 passer rating

Young
    63.0 completion %
    164 yards
    1 TD
    0 Turnovers
    95.3 passer rating

Based on watching both play Indy, I think Young played a much better game overall. Obviously, that may have changed had the game been in Indy but I think Young is playing much better football right now with much less talent around him.

We'll see how the rest of the season plays out.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

If you are going to make this comparison, I think you should also list rushing yards to be fair. The stats are relatively even right now no matter if they are included or not, but vince has played a much tougher schedule. So Jeff makes a pretty important point by comparing them against the same team to get some relativity.

7. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

Alls I know is that my grass is really green! :woot:

8. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

well at least your #1 team, Michigan, is having the best season by 'a wide margin'...lol :bighomer:

9. plato

plato Camp Fodder

Cutler has played one more game so that hurts his yards some and there is no doubt you have to add his rushing yards as well because that is so devastating to teams on many levels..

If VY has a good against the falcons he might move farther ahead in rating and catch up some in yards..

Vince running and making 3rd down conversions might be the most demoralizing thing to a defense...

Denver is no doubt more talented but the Titans just play their hearts out every game and actually believe they will win every game with VY at QB.

I'm not sure the Denver veterens think that about Cutler just yet..

10. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

You play to win the game... not to have better stats than the other team or other players in the league. Compare them all you want, but you will see who ends up with more wins. His teamates say it, the publicists say it, all this man knows how to do is win. Also, give Vince the talent Leinart & Cutler have I'm sure his stats would be alot better than they are now... Factors come into play in every QB's situation, whether you like it or not Vince is a winner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar