McNair's Future Uncertain with Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Well, seeing as how Vince probably needs to learn to stay in the pocket (vice #7 from Atlanta, who's hurt as much as our own #9) a little longer, if he loses a step or two, that would be an ok trade-off. IMO, he'll still be pretty mobile.

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller...

Everytime someone does something wrong you have some lame excuse. We signed this deal with mcnair and what has he done sense? He's not even a top 10 QB any more.

We go back to this mentality that you and others have on this board that the titans were so damn good for so damn long we can't help but suck. We just couldn't afford to pay all those incredible players. So we sign a deal with mcnair that will be lighter on the cap for 2004 and 2005 and what do we get for that? We stilll lose most of our best players. That back loaded deal which is costing us now when mcnair isn't as good. Didn't reese consider that steve mcnair might not be as good a player in 2006 that he was in 2003?

As far as guarenteed money is concerned mcnair got a large signing bonus, his salary for 2006 will be $9M and his other bonus costs us over $8M against the cap. It's guarenteed if he is simply on the team.

How can you defend the fact it will cost us $13M against the cap even if he isn't on the team? We tell him to take a hike and it's still like paying a pro bowl offensive tackle.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Titans2004...

The $13M that myself and others have talked about is the salary cap hit if we were to just release mcnair. That's a pretty heavy hit for a guy not even on the team.

The only solution if we can't sign him to a reasonable deal is to trade him in lieu of a new contract. Some other team might be willing to pay something closer to what he wants if they can get him for a 5th rd pick.

I was one of those who thought it was moronic to dump mcnair and keep volek. Now i'm starting to think the other way around. We could sign shaun alexander for what it would take to keep mcnair around. We certainly can't afford to keep mcnair and volek with a vince young.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

:drunk:
    In 2002 we made it to the AFC Championship game. In 2003 McNair was co-MVP and we went to the wire against the Patriots before getting ousted from the playoffs. How was Reese supposed to predict that the next year McNair would have an bad year and get injured? How was Reese going to predict the whole team would stink as bad in 2004? If things had worked out we could have kept a few of those vets we let go, some draft picks could have worked out a little better (Woolfolk and CAlico) and with McNair duplicating his efforts of 2002 and 2003 we could still be in postion to make a playoff run in 2005.
    You actually made a comment we could have dumped McNair, after a MVP season, and kept Volek who had yet to prove anything until he played in place of McNair in 2004.
    Certainly it is frustrating having big CAP numbers for a guy appears at the end of his career but I'm not sure anyone, including yourself could have predicted McNair's demise would come this soon. I just hope we keep McNair only one more year, getting out from the dead money in 2007 and focus on making a run year after next.

6. :baghead: yeah whatever, never a valid post :makefun:

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

If Alexander was willing to play here. I'd have to consider it. But if a star caliber player isn't involved, I have no interest. Let's just play out the contract. That said, I can't imagine Alexander would want to play here.

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I could see it, he's a religious man, we've got the highest number of churches per capita of any major city...

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Alexander wouldn't want to play here?

He's from kentucky and played college ball at the greatest of all institutions, BAMA. So why wouldn't he want to play in nashville?

10. maximus

maximus Starter

Bama is the greatest of all institutions:ha: :ha: :ha: Your a Bama fan, I dont think I would have ever noticed:winker:
    It is extremely doubtful that he plays in TN next year. I expect to see him in AZ or franchised in Seattle(or was he promised he wouldnt be franchised this year)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar