McNair's Future Uncertain with Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Why I guess that would be so :winker:

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Mac's cap hit as it stands now that we have exercised the option is around 24 mil not 13-14mil as some have said because he still has 13.4 mil in outstanding SB that gets accelerated to 2006 + the 9 mil base salary + the 1 mil buyout....so keeping Mac for 1 yr is not very palatable to me....if he is going to be our QB next yr it will be with an extension that at least allows us some cap relief by pro-rating the old SB over 4yrs.

3. If the plan is to draft a QB at #3, then there's not necessarily any reason to extend his deal. That way, we wouldn't carry any dead money from his contract into 2007. McNair would mentor our top pick for a year, and then he'd take over for Mac in a year.

That's one possible scenario.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It appears that the Titans can continue down the path to letting McNair play out this season and choose to redo the contract well after the draft. This opens a lot of options, IMO. If they take Young, they could then sign McNair for two seasons. If it is Leinart, then you do a one-year deal or simply let him go and let Volek start the season. If the Titans trade out, they can sign McNair for a longer deal.

There won't be a lot of openings for QB after the draft. The longer Reese stretches this out, the more this stacks up for him.

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

So does that mean that at this point we're doing the 1 million option?

6. Yes, for now. They have a few months before the $1M is due.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't think Young is ready to start right out of the shute but this idea of having him sit two years makes no sense to me. Young played major college ball against major competion for three years. His situation is not the same as it was for McNair when he came out. Young may take some lumps the first year he starts but waitiing two years behind an aging and diminished McNair would cause more problems IMO. We could easily have our better QB on the bench.

8. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

It definitely means we're not exercising the 50 mil option, :winker: :lol:

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The luxery here is that Young would be in minicamps, through a training camp and a pre-season before anything has to be done with McNair if I understand correctly that this bonus is not paid until the start of the regular season.

Young would be evaluted and the Titans may decide he'd be ready to take over in just one year. That would be the ideal situation all around, IMO.

But even if the decision is to keep McNair two years, we know he'll likely miss a number of games during that time. Young, as the #2, would get some opportunities. And more and more of those games we've seen McNair miss practice all week just to suck it up and play on Sunday would become starts for Young.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I would prob let him sit 2 years, but one major difference is that chandler was actually a pretty decent qb at that time (although most his career before that was a dark era). He was competitive, had the team on the verge of the playoffs, and was throwing a good long ball to Sanders and Haywood. And he then went on to superbowl to further illustrate he was playing at a high level. Right now McNair is playing decent, but he's not winning football games, and the team is not on he verge of anything.

All that said, I think McNair deserves to ride out his career, as it has no major impact on us, and I think that Vince Young could learn a lot from him. Although it may slow Vince Young's progress a bit on the field, I don't think it's a bad thing.

Now having said that, speed dwindles over time. The real question is does Young get slower by waiting two years, or does he have more left to give as he hits his peak. McNair still ran like crazy despite sitting two years. So it would seem he could sit and lose nothing over the long haul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar