McNair vs Manning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MsTitan, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

When was the last time Manning was in the Super Bowl
    when was the last time Peyton carried the TEAM on his back to a win

obvious ? I think not

in the NFL stats are pretty much useless (in some ways)
    Steve won us quite a few games we should have lost
    Peyton's found ways to lose games Indy shoulda won

Steve's a warrior, Peyton's just surrounded by incredible talent

2. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

McNair was primarily responsible for the comeback in the SB in 99...just sayin'.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

What games has peyton lost that they shouldve won? The steelers game is the only big game where the colts were the better team and they lost. Surely your not suggesting the colts shouldve beat NE on the road the past two years? And surely you dont think that UT had better teams than Florida when Peyton was there. Both situations he was on the inferior team.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

This is silly logic. So McNair has a better playoff record; what the hell does that have to do with which QB is better? Last time I checked, a QB is not the team. Or is it, because that seems to be the logic in this thread. And as I might recall, McNair wasn't even remotely close to the primary reason we were even in the hunt for the Super Bowl. Eddie George in his dominating prime and a stiffling defense were, with some insane luck (MCM anyone? Mac, btw, didn't light the world on fire...). The reason the Colts have been contending each year is because Manning has led one of the most prolific offenses in recent memory.

No one, NOT ONE, has debunked the fact that Manning has a BETTER passer rating in the playoffs than Mac. But I thought Manning sucked in the playoffs? Oh wait, McNair is a warrior, a player that has better intangibles (whatever the hell that means), so McNair is therefore the better player.

In terms of this wacked out "Well, Manning has better weapons." A great QB needs weapons! What is this crap; Manning can't help that his FO has consistently provides him with fantastic supporting cast members. If McNair had the weapons Manning had, who knows. That's exactly the point, who knows? We can't go look into some sort of bizzaro "If McNair has Harrison" scenerio, so what's the point of speculation?

Look, you can hate Manning's personality. You can hate the Colts. I'm in both categories. But c'mon guys! Manning is the better QB! He has a better QB rating overall, in the regular season and playoffs, he's led better teams for what 3-4 years now? He has the exact same playoff record as McNair. So McNair went to the Super Bowl and is a warrior with the intangibles of a champion:hmm: ! Look, McNair is great and he's one of my favs, but to say that he's better than Manning is just silly.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

More incessant nonsense....

We have one poster(mad about mcnair) that claims that mcnair is better than manning when that same poster on another thread had also said the titans had no talent this year. We have the best damn QB on earth but the team had no talent? Bizarro logic?

Another poster(visteg) says that mcnair is his guy in a big game over manning. I guess he didn't realize that mcnair has 3 more ints in playoff games than TDs and a lousy 68 passing rating. In only one of the 9 post season games mcnair has played in has he thrown more TDs than he had ints in the game. That was the afc championship against oakland in 2002 when he had a TD with no picks. I guess the facts be damed huh?

Steve mcnair is a warrior proclaims one poster but it is manning who has never missed a game in 8 seasons.

Puck asks when was the last time manning carried the colts on his back to a win. We let's see, about half the games he has played? You can't count the number of times he has had to pass for 300 yards for the team to have a chance. Watch the 2003 monday night comeback against tampa bay before you ask silly questions. Most of the time when we needed steve to carry our team it was because we were not very good. In steve's first 3 playoff games in 99 mcnair only averaged 100 yards passing per game so he was hardly carrying the team to the super bowl.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Well, the last time we were in the SB was in '99. Six years ago. That's a long time. Mac wasn't the reason we were there either (to be fair, he was more than productive in the playoffs). NFL stats are useless? Not even going to begin to say what's grossly incorrect with that statement, but I think I get your point.

You guys continue to equate this whole thing to which team has better playoff experience. This is a player to player comparison, not a team to team.

7. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

But McNair has better intangibles! :ha:

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Some simple numbers...

Peyton manning career regular season passing rating..93.5
    Career playoff passing rating......89

Steve mcnair career regular season passing rating...83.3
    Steve mcnair playoff passing rating.........68

So who has the bigger drop off when it counts the most?

Note that i have been one of mcnair's biggest defenders this season. Hell if he was in the nfc he would have been a candidate for the pro bowl. Certainly had a better year than vick did. Note that mcnair had the same passing rating this season as his career rating a decent accomplishment considering our o-line, the running game and rookie WR. So don't think he is done yet. He still has some good years left in him as he helps groom vince young to be our future QB.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Give McNair - Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Edgerrin James and Manning - Derreck Mason, Drew Bennett and Eddie George

and see how that works out for ya

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

If your gonna do that, then give Mcnair some of those colts defenses and Manning some of the titans defenses and see who has the better playoff record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar