McNair vs Manning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MsTitan, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny....

The entire premise of this board from the beginning was that mcnair is BETTER than manning. That was what mstitan said. If you don't agree with that then why are you posting here? Certainly not to defend manning. On a couple more threads you defended this team's coach and management. Where would i ever assume that you are unhappy with the way things are? I have never read anything to that effect.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Because I don't post it doesnt mean I don't think it.

I didn't know you were keeping such close tabs on me, next time I will convey my feelings to you.

3. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Wow.....

So now we shouldn't post unless we agree with the first post ? Lol, why are you still here posting ? Great logic there buddy...

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The premise of the person who started this thread was that steve mcnair was BETTER than peyton manning. A poster named gunny wrote post after post bashing manning. Now all of a sudden he claims he never said or believed that mcnair was better. So what was the point of his posts? You either agree with that premise or disagree. I happen to disagree. If gunny holds the same opinion that i do then why is he arguing?

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with a certain premise but you don't spend numerous posts making a point you never even agreed with in the first place.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

You should research Bamaboys tourtured argument that Gannon was the best QB in the league in 2003?

man that one was a blast!

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

GoT...

You can start by being truthful. It was after the 2002 season that i rated gannon the best QB in the league. As i said then and have repeated this many times my ratings of the QBs then was based on actual performance not predictions of future performance. I actually wrote that because of his age gannon would be in decline.

In 2002 rich gannon was the most valuable player in the entire nfl. Hardly a stretch then to say he was the best QB. He had made 4 straight pro bowls and absolutely destroyed our defense in 2 games against him in 2002.

In that thread i started between the 2002 and 2003 seasons i rated mcnabb as the second best QB and mcnair third. Favre 4th, manning 5th and brady 6th. I was chided by starkiller for having brady that high.

As i made clear then when i started that thread my rankings were based on how they had played the previous few years not on how i thought they might play in the future. You know that so try being honest about it.

7. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Man, I took a couple of days off from this thread. I was having fun with it, then it got kinda tired. I didn't know Gunny hates the Titans. I guess that means I'll hate 'em too. Now, Titans 2008 you have to hate the team too.

8. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

So that my message can not be misunderstood by name calling miscreants let me restate my position on this thread.
    You can have all of the 6' 5" pale skinned, funny shaped 5-headed, pretty pass throwing, pretty stat posting, choke artist Peyton Manning. I will take the guy that wins playoff games. Steve Mcnair.

And to rebut the whole mcnair, reese, fisher theme you started. Just wait a beat and your golden boy Manning will get his just desserts. The cap will catch up with them too. And then lets see how smart Dungy, Polian, and Manning look then. They will have a 4-12, or 5-11. And they don't have a Super Bowl win either. So how much better is Manning?
    He's better at beating Denver, I'll give him that. Wait, no I won't. We almost never play denver.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If we are really looking at both these QBs today I would think Manning has to be the best even if we ignore his bloated HOF stats because one thing we do know for certain is Manning will be healthy for the playoff game (Manning has not missed a game in 8 years, not one). Right now the odds heavily weighted in favor of McNair not making it through a 16 game schedule and even if he is bodily present in the playoffs there is a good chance he will not be 100%.
    McNair missed two games outright this year and was less than 100% for many others, not to mention he missed practices galore. Last year McNair missed 50% of the games. One extra year of age certainly will not help McNair improve on that record. Even in McNair's MVP year he missed two games and part of others. Heck, in 1999 he missed 5 games.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mad..

I will take the guy that wins playoff games. Steve Mcnair.
    --------------------------

Mcnair wins playoffs games? Since 2000 he has won 2. You and others can make a big issue out of the fact that mcnair has won 5 of 9 playoff games while manning has won 3 out of nine but that hardly proves that mcnair is better in those games just that his team has had a little more success. The titans won a playoff game(bills 99) when mcnair threw for just 76 yards. Would you say he won that game? The titans won a playoff game(2003 ravens) when steve threw 3 ints. Those 2 games are the difference between manning and mcnair in playoff games.

Have you been paying any attention to anything on this thread? Mcnair has hardly been a great playoff QB. His passing rating in the post season is 64. He has three more ints than TDs(6 vs 9). I would not call mcnair a choker in big games but nobody can argue that he has played his best football in the biggest games. He had one great game in leading the titans to a playoff win. A 338 yard effort in the win over the steelers in 2002. He has had some very good games that we have lost in the playoffs but take away that one steeler game and mcnair has averaged just 114 yards passing in 4 of his playoff wins. 114 yards! So please do not tell me that steve mcnair has heroically taken this team on his back and done anything more in big games than manning has done.

Of course you want to make it seem like playoff wins are all that matters but you have to get to the playoofs in the first place. Manning has taken his teams to the playoffs 75% of the time(6 of 8 seasons) mcnair just 44% of the time(4 of 9 seasons). But hey nothing matters if it doesn't make your argument right? They are only facts.

"Pale skinned"? What kind of racist crap is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar