McNair to retire

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Bud Adams is a liar, because they basically have retired 85, 27, 9, and 89. They won't give it to anyone, and if they tried, their numbers were changed early on, or they were cut.(Givens and Guenther)

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Why Can We Get Rid Of Kerry Collins, And Give One More Year To Air Mcnair As Vince Back Up..that Would Be Lovely And I Bet Pops Would Do It!!!

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There was some ugly stuff with McNair during his career (booed in the first home game at The Delph, the DUI, the lockout, ending with the trade to the most hated team by most Titans fans). There were some games he probably was too limited by injury to be as effective as he needed to be.

But there were a stretch of seasons I would not have wanted anyone else behind center with the game on the line. Under two minutes and with the ball, few doubted McNair wouldn't find a way to win.

One day, I'm going to go back and look at every close game during his career and see how many he pulled out late by taking the team on his shoulders and making play after play when the pressure was at its highest. The Titans were on the ugly end of that in '06 in his final game in Nashville as a Raven.

My only regret is that the coaching staff held in the reins too often with McNair. Maybe his body couldn't have taken the punishment of an offensive style like the two-minute he ran so well but I wonder if it wouldn't have changed the outcome of a few of the season when the Titans came up short.

Retire #9 on October 27.

4. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

[​IMG]
    I love this pic... lol one tough guy found it on nfl.com:yes:

5. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

Well he retired now and I expect some where down the road he'll sign a one day contract with us and retire as a Titan. Another option is that we could sign him for a back up or a reserve:ravens:

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nick what?

I understand your basic premise that while they don't offically retire any more numbers they have a policy not to give out certain numbers. Now what does #85 have to do with that? If 2 players have already been on the roster wearing 85 than obviously they are giving it out. Hello? They don't cut a guy just because of the number he wears.

I think there is a policy not to give out 9, 27 and 89. They just don't want to make it permanent..

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

An interesting story about retiring numbers and why teams don't like doing it.

Dick butkus entered the nfl in 1965 along with another bear 1st rd pick gayle sayers. Butkus retired in 1973 with horrible knees and in 75 he sued the bears for forcing him to play when he needed surgery. Ultimately they would settle out of court but the bad blood caused the bears to enact a new policy ending the retirement of numbers. The policy existed just for butkus but they couldn't say that of course so sayers also wouldn't get his number offically retired.

Interesting that in the next 16 years from the law suit players #51 would appear regularly on the bears roster but never did anyone wear #40 and after payton retired nobody was wearing 34 either. Everyone knew what that meant.

As walter payton's induction to canton became close the bears finally relented and retired both #51 and #40 in the halftime of a monday night game against the packers. There was simply too much public pressure to retire those numbers and the bears simply had to change their policy to make room for #34.

The best thing to do is to is simply not to issue those numbers and leave it at that. Look at the bills they retired the number of a certain running back that 75% of the country believes got away with a double murder.

8. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

Surely 74 is in there somewhere, right??

9. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

Ahh, Mac my boy. I didn't actually think he'd go out like this, thought he'd fight through at least one more year (not very successfully, I might add) but if this is the way it's gotta be, then so be it. Thanks for all the memories, Steve. You're always a Titan to me.

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

much love steve....u the **** no doubt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar