McNair to count over 1/4 of our cap space

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

why not? Its fun to rag on the rivals.

2. Just wait for Manning's contract to run a few more years...

The Titans spent years keeping the team under the cap by renegotiating McNair's contract. We knew that eventually it would come back to bite them, but that was the price for keeping a contending team together. So now it's time to pay the piper.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Is the production McNair gives the Titans worth $10 mil more than what they can get from Volek? I don't think so. $10 mil would bring in some serious help on the defensive side of the ball.

Maybe a new CBA gives the Titans the $10-$15 mil they need to bring in some free agents. But if that cap number stays the same, I don't see the McNair a Titan entering the season unless he gets a new deal.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I completely agree Jeff. Trade or cut McNair, draft a QB and let him or Volek start. Use the money saved from McNair to upgrade through FA.

We're not likely to go to the SB this season anyways.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I think a trade would be tempting at this point. I don't want to see us "rework" the deal. All that will do is lower the CAP hit this year but will add more garbage in future years. This team is at a point where we should care more about two and three years down the road than next year. McNair could not even be our starting QB and still be costing us 10 mil on the CAP. Take the hit and move on IMO. If we can work a trade to a team like the Dolphins for a 2nd or 3rd round pick that would be fine with me.

6. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

One of the things Mac and Bus Cook need to realize is that its really hard for the team to get any new offensive weapons to surround Steve with when he has a 9 million base salary. If Steve wants to ride off into the sunset on a winning horse, he needs to come down on his demand.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Unfortunately it might seem that Steve would rather ride off into the sunset on a golden horse, than a winning horse....

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

With McNair and the Titans there are three scenarios IMO.
    1. Finish this year as a mentor to our new QB and retire.
    2. Go to another team via trade and have a shot in the next few years at a title.
    3. Reduce his salary demands by atleast 5 million per year over the next 3 years and be part of the rebuilding hoping to be in the playoffs.

By demanding 10 million per year he is forcing the Titans to either trade, cut or keep him only one more year which will be a down year. Right now I see no scenario for McNair having any chance at a ring with the Titans.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

right you are

that $10mill could be used on some FA help
    but, from what I gathered from SK, the hit is the same whether we keep him or not

10. The $13.5M is the same either way. The $10M would be saved if we got rid of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar