McNair Says Young Needs Strong Running Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Colts and Patriots used 1st round picks last year on RBs.

The issue we are talking about isn't when White was drafted. Its at the end of last season when apparently the Titans had some confidence in White which allowed them to let Henry go also knowing Brown was a FA.

From what I can remember Henry was due a 8 mil bonus which would have kept him at Tennessee for the next 3 years (through 2009). His base salaries over that time were around the vet minimum. Thats around 11 million over 3 years. The Titans might have been able to negotiate basically the same deal with a new contract paying the 8 mil in signing bonus (prior to FA) which would have given Henry the same money but prorated the CAP to around 3.7 mil per year. Instead while knowing Brown was also a FA they cut him letting him pursue FA. That tells me they had significant confidence in LW who at the time was our only RB.

So now with Henry gone the Titans decide to use a 2nd round pick that would have been used for another position on another RB. Assuming C. Henry gets a similar deal to LW's he will count about 1.2 mil against the CAP and of course is a significant risk as to his contribution. Chris Brown is also signed for one year for ~ 1.8 mil. In other words we didn't save that much money AND we used a 2nd round pick we could have used on another position. I'd have felt much more confident in letting T. Henry go if the organization had expressed more confidence in White, maybe signed Brown to a multiple year deal and if deciding to draft a RB had drafted a 3rd down scat back who could catch the ball out of the backfield and play STs. Now we are right back to where we were last year with 3 RBs fighting it out for the #1 job and not knowing who is going to be the guy. We also have quite a bit invested in $ and draft picks just to cover one position.

I do have confidence the guys we have will get the job done. LW and Brown should be adequate and hopefully Henry will show something.

By the way Henry got 22.5 million over 5 years with the Bronco's which included 12 million in guaranteed money. That contract was certainly a little on the high side but around 4 mil a year for a guy of Henry's ability isn't outrageous. The top RBs make 8 mil or more a year. McGahee signed a 6 year contract for 32 million. T. Henry was 10th in the league last year in rushing and his 4.5 YPC was better than half of the guys in the top 10. Henry also didn't play in 2 of the first 4 games of the season and only had 9 attempts in the season opener. He could have added another 150 yards to his yearly totals which would have given him closer to 6th place in total rushing for the year. His numbers certainly outshine McGahee's.

2. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

so once again someone thinks our FO are a bunch of retards and monkeys, and if you were hired you would win 9 superbowls easily???

and drafting a RB in the first round, automatically ensures he will be good?

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think the difference is that Henry wasn't going to be our only investment at RB, no matter what. Since he was only one positive test away from being gone, we would have had to have two backups anyways. So we would have spent more on the RB position. Right now we have three RBs for the price of Travis Henry, none of whom we have to worry about having a positive drug test and losing for a year.

4. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

we saved money, there is no question with that....

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Time will tell. If both White and C. Henry become something special, then the Titans will have an excellent running game for seasons to come. Or, they have the option of trading one away.

How is it stupid if we overpay for a RB a toke away from a year's suspension? I can guarantee many here thought Reese was stupid for trading a third-round pick for T. Henry in '05.

I disagree. He is/was not worth the $8.3 mil signing bonus. And I think the C. Henry pick was more about admitting a screw up in taking White than letting Henry go.

Remember, Brown is being paid peanuts and will be gone in '08. So the issue here, IMO, is using the second-round pick at RB.

Would you have been willing to trade that second-round pick for Michael Turner?

6. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

there is no issue of drafting a RB in the 2nd Round, everyone here knows we had running back issues going into the draft, our options were this..

1. Michael Turner
    2. Corey Dillon
    3. Chris Brown
    4. Draft a RB

Michael Turner didnt pan out the way we would of liked...

Corey Dillon retired

so we were left with Chris Brown and Draft a RB, Chris Brown is still yet to play an entire season, so we cant be certain he will get the job done, so we draft Chris Henry for ensurance....

Now we are in a good positioin, because if Chris Brown has a breakout year, and plays 16 games, we can resign him, if he doesnt, we dont have to worry about it.

And we still have 2 young guys playing behind him.

i think we are in a really good position running back wise...

reciever is our only issue on offesnse IMO.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You make valid points but this all boils down to what value T. Henry is to the Titans with a second-round RB ready to step in and play. If the Broncos had drafted White in '05, no way do they sign T. Henry who is not a top 10 RB, IMO.

8. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

the broncos wasted money on T. Henry, not because he isnt worth it, but because my cableman could get 1000 yards behind the broncos line...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar