McNair Says Young Needs Strong Running Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Running game depnds on brown?

We wasted 2 straight 2nd rd picks then?

Everyone talks about how we have not helped vince but a lot of draft capital was used on skill players on offense. 6 WR the last 3 drafts and 2 2nd rd picks at Rb we better damn have some players around him and better damn have a running game.

If lendale and and henry collectively can't get the job done what do we do draft a RB in rd one next year? Somebody better get off their dead arse and play!

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I am much less concerned about our running game than I am about our run defense.

Our O-line has shown it can be dominant. Between the 4 backs we have, we should be productive offensively. Henry was not worth $8m in our system at his age, with Lendale sitting on the bench.

If White gets it together Henry will be long forgotten.

I don't understand all the negativity around Lendale. Let's judge him solely by the condition he shows up in training camp. If he's ready to go, expect a HUGE year.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Drafting a lot of one position doesn't mean much if they're just mediocre players that aren't expected to make an impact any time soon, if ever.
    Carpy - I hope Lendale does his thing. I don't put any thought in to the weight issues. Big deal, he's overweight in the offseason. Ricky Hatton turns to the goodyear blimp when he's not fighting, but come fight night, he's lean and winning.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gloat...

Why wouldn't lendale or henry be expected to make an impact soon? It takes about 15 minutes of development to be a starting nfl back. Eddie george started from minute one as a rookie. Lendale is even in his 2nd season.

I can't say for sure we have a young stud RB on our team but you automatically assume we don't. That's a lot of draft capital you are giving up on there. Maybe you should see a couple of preseason games before you say that. Why be so negative until you have more information?

5. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Well, unlike EG, Henry doesn't have a lot of experience. He still needs to develop a better feel for the game. But I agree about White. He's ready, if he has the conditioning. I'm looking for great things from him this season. He's a great back.

6. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

I know no one really wants to hear optimism, but I really do think that we're going to be okay at running back. I think Chris Brown will actually hold up because he's not going to be the undisputed guy. He's not going to be looked at to take essentially every carry. And I actually have a lot of faith in Lendale White despite him balooning to 9000 pounds or whatever.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

TJ and Sox...

You've got some good arguments going both ways, but I think what hasn't been mentioned, and really tips me into agreeing with TJ, is the risk associated with Henry and another potential drug violation. He's had two, one more and we lose him for a year. I think that was a big factor in not signing the extention. He did prove himself more last year than he had earlier on the team. I was really excited when we traded for him, and very disappointed after 05. I figured we'd keep him for sure after last season, but the more I look at it, I agree. I wouldn't have signed his extension either. We already had White there, and knew we had several other options that we could bring in cheaper. Henry was proven on the field, but had a big risk of being gone for a full season. It would be hard for me to invest too much in that.

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think it is because everybody (myself included) perceives he is a lazy tub of goo and he has been injured in OTA's/camps. I confess- I pulled his stats 13 games, 61 carries, 4.0 ypc with 0 TD's and was a bit surprised with the 4.0 ypc.

My negative impression of White is a result of high expectations I placed on him with the statements he made immediately after the draft and then after last season. He showed up at OTA's injured both years and couldn't participate. The spitting on a team mate didn't help either (wasn't it Nickey he spit on?).

We'll see how he does in this year's camp. We'll see what Chris Henry can do also.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'm sure they were confident in their 2nd round pick (LW) when they let Henry walk. Too bad it backfired and they ended up not just signing Brown but using ANOTHER 2nd round pick on a RB. Obviously they miscalculated something somewhere. Also, I'm not going to ever defend or agree with letting Henry go if it cost us having to sign Brown AND use another 2nd round pick. Thats just stupid. Now at minimum we will have 2 2nd round picks slitting carries in the future and if neither works out we might end up adding one or two more. Travis Henry's existing deal before he hit FA was reasonable and I would bet my house if the FO knew they would have to sign Brown AND use another 2nd round pick on the position they would have never let him go. by taking C. Henry they basically told the world they screwed up.

10. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

id say we had no intention of letting henry walk by drafting LenDale White, i thought lendale white was a steal for Tennessee in the 2nd round..

guys, lots of teams go into the season having questions about there Running game...The Patriots and colts went into last year not knowing if there backfield would work out..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar